Your old camera gear for Rwanda? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 31st, 2017, 09:56 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Your old camera gear for Rwanda?

Hi Phil! Yeah I'm excited to be a part of the project for sure! Another shooter I know has an old Canon EOS D60 he's giving me that I can loan out to students, and a friend that works at Google is going to contact a few groups within Google for Photo Enthusiasts and the likes. Figure maybe we can get one or two more cameras there that maybe have been on the shelf for a few years. Good stuff. Couldn't agree more on graduated students (I'm off the same breed!). It's one of the things I find refreshing about the Graduation Placement numbers of the ADMA where I'm working. Exact opposite, I dig it. I love the idea of an education thread it's something I prob would benefit from. Plus I have some really fun ideas for exercises for my students I'm looking forward to testing out!

With the guy talking about $5000 a day, I'll put him in the category of everyone else I've ever met in my life that says that, which is the category of him being 99.9% full of shit, ha ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Goetz View Post
Great project. Thanks for sharing. Keep us updated. I've been in Austin, Texas for almost 20 years and the media programs in this city graduate 1000+ students a year and they all want to work right here in central Texas.Telling high school students they will become filmmakers is like telling high school students they will become professional athletes. Right? Maybe so, maybe not. There are many ways to use the moving image and many careers that make use of these skills full time or part time. Rock stars with day jobs! Side hustle! Diversified happiness portfolio! Video production is, more broadly, communication, story telling and writing. Who doesn't need to develop these skills? School is hard and it's hard to find ways of learning and knowing. Production programs are great. I posted a couple weeks ago to this form on a search for middle and high school video teachers. I'd like to know what works and doesn't. Maybe there will be an education thread in this forum some day.

I was at a high school career day last spring and a guy from an unnamed newspaper was telling students he knows someone who gets paid 5 grand a day shooting video on his iPhone. Seemed attention getting and out of the ordinary. Not sure if this is helpful or not.
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 03:46 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks for that info and i will send it along
A Zenit is some kind of completly manual Russian 35mm film cam i believe alhough not sure about that.
It would be a challenge indeed for Moses in Uganda to attend the film school in Ruwanda to be sure but the challenges these people have to surrmount each and every day are simply unimaginable to us fatcats
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 04:16 AM   #18
Major Player

Good man (you already made an inquiry - thank you)
I am chatting with Moses now and of course finances are the topic.
Here in North America grants, loans, and all manner of educational financing is available to anyone who asks but my sense that in Africa unless you come from money, you're outta luck. I have some dealings with Saint Mary's International University in Halifax where I've been livestreaming their convocations for the past 10 years and couldn't help but notice that all the Africans are well heeled.
Question is where does a young man born in a hut and barefoot for half his life find the resources to attend a cinema course several countries away and feed his family at the same time?
Maybe I should look on the Canadian side as well. WAn't the Canadian General Romeo D'Alair in charge of the UN troops at the time in Rwanda?
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 02:52 PM   #19
Major Player

Hi Bruce. Got it, I had never heard of that kind of camera. Trippy.

Yeah it almost comes down to finances indeed. With respect to the ADMA, I'd encourage him to visit the website learn about the school, etc... Or of course look for a similar program in Uganda closer to home. I don't know anything about the neighboring states. Just know I'll be teaching Advanced Cinematography and looking forward to it :)
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 03:52 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi folks. I'm also looking for old lenses. School gave me a $250 petty cash fund, so I purchased a few Canon FD 50 mm 1.8s lenses, and Canon FD 28mm 2.8. All great lenses all cheap. Also purchasing one cheap Neweer Handheld rig (bare bones), and the necessary FD to M 4/3 adapter, and FD to EOS adapter for the donations cameras I have.

So that means for focal lengths for cameras my students can check out, I have 2 50mm, one 28mm, 1 135mm so far. If you have an old M4/3 or EOS lens you don't use anymore, we could make good use of it at the school.
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion