rain at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 6th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #1
Inner Circle

rain

I've got a job coming up and their is possibility of rain every day. I don't want to buy an expensive rain cover. Anyone ever use a plastic bag for a cover.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: rain

I've used them at weddings. However thats normally when its a very light spit, or before the wedding begins & they're still deciding I can be there & go under a tree or canopy. Obviously if its raining heavy the wedding won't be outdoors.

It works, relatively speaking. If you do it I'd recommend a pretty heavy duty bag & pre cutting out the holes & maybe incorporate twist ties into it. Can you rig a mini umbrella onto a hot shoe somehow or attach it to a on camera light? I once went to a local Mom & pop owner hardware store and the worker there was more than willing to figure out attachments to rig a small bluetooth speaker strapped onto the hot shoe extension when I brought them in.Used some sort of circular/metal twist tie type thing, I forget what they're called but I told him it was for a wedding I was doing (marryoke).
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 04:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I have one week assignment filming at various locations down south. I've been told it can spontaneity rain at any time. I don't normally film out in the field or have to deal with rain. Maybe I'll just put the cameras in their bags and wait for the rain to stop.
Old July 6th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #4
Trustee

Cheap and dirty? Get some clear plastic sheet from a major fabric store, say, Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores ? Shop online | Jo-Ann for example, then fashion some time of cover for the cam where the LCD screen can be swung out but with an opening for the lens and room to get hands on the buttons. They have plastic sheet in varying thicknesses.

Either sew, or use a stapler, to fasten edges together. Doesn't have to be pretty.

Mic: Generally this is on top of the cam but maybe, this time, rig it up with a short cable and hang it underneath the cam where it can be protected better. Just thinking.

Know anyone who does sewing? Seamstress? They would be a good resource to help with fitting it.

For the lens, would some kind of a tapered cylinder made of the clear plastic taped on with 3M masking tape work?

Since I'm in western Washington (not little washington), where there is more inclement weather, I'm using an EWA-Marine Video Cape.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Major Player

If rain noise is an issue use some synthetic hogs hair hvac filter material on top of your rig.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 03:25 PM   #6
Supports LPFM Radio

What model camera, and what do you consider expensive?

These run US$100 or a bit more, depending on model:
Camera protection for Camera Support Equipment - Sachtler

About the same as the EWA-Marine covers that John mentions (though I think EWA may have some simpler capes, too?)

I've done the plastic bag and jerry-rigged plastic sheet thing. It can work. But even a simple not-made-for-heavy-shoulder-use camera cape/cover is worth the extra cost...fits around the lens, lets me access controls, etc...

But to repeat what model camera?
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I'm using 2 cameras ux90 & ux180. Leaving in two days don't have time to buy a pro cover and it's a one off assignment. I think I'll go with the plastic sheet and gaffer tape if needed. I was also able to dig up an old petro rain cover for a sony. That might work too. Thx for the suggestions everyone.
Old July 8th, 2017, 05:27 AM   #8
Major Player

If you think the chance of rain is only slight , pack a roll of cling film ( the stuff used in kitchens ) .

It's inexpensive , can be kept in your camera bag , and can be pulled out and wrapped around your camera in a flash , leaving the front of your lens sticking out , but all controls visible and operable through it .

When rain stops it can be ripped off and discarded .

Having said the above , keep an eye on eBay etc for a proper rain cover : when I got my HVR V1e , I spotted a Porta Brace rain cover for a PD 150 ( very similar camera ) being sold locally for £20 . I went round with my camera and tried it , found it to be a good fit and bought it .
Derek Heeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Derek, that is BRILLIANT!!!

So simple, yet so functional. Will definitely try this.

I struggle with rain on occasion shooting sport. Nothing worse. NOTHING.

Nice little thread here.
Miggy Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 03:36 PM   #10
Major Player

It was a tip given to me by an old hand when I started doing video ... a while back .

As you said , so simple and so brilliant .
Derek Heeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 10:05 AM   #11
Major Player

I've been using the Movo CRC17. It's not expensive at all.

Last edited by Bryan Cantwell; July 11th, 2017 at 10:05 AM. Reason: edit for typo
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion