Need advise selling camera's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 6th, 2017, 08:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Need advise selling camera's

I am getting a little too old to do Weddings. My helpers and camera person have moved on to other professions. I have two Camera's that I would like to sell. Both are Canon GL2's. Great condition. They have 10 Weddings behind them. I'm looking for a much cheaper Camera but that's another story.
I'm looking to do smaller Video jobs. As we all know Wedding videography is a hard days work. Very demanding but rewarding. I have enjoyed every minute of it.
My question is, What would be the best way to sell my two Canon's. Ebay or some other way? Or possibly trading them in on another cheaper camera. Do Camera Dealers accept Trade In's on their camera's? This my first time wondering how to approach the subject. I would appreciate any idea's that any of you would suggest.
Thanks Again
Harry
Harry Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Need advise selling camera's

There is hardly a market for those cameras, SD video is pretty much history, people are now using HD or more often now UHD.

On eBay they sell for about $100 - $150 tops.

Frankly I doubt dealers want to accept those cameras for trade-in.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 07:17 AM   #3
Wrangler

I don't think you will get much for cameras of that vintage unfortunately. They were great cameras in their day, but that was 15 years ago.

You can see if B&H Photo will offer you anything here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/tr...CashInYourGear
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 07:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
There is hardly a market for those cameras, SD video is pretty much history, people are now using HD or more often now UHD.

On eBay they sell for about $100 - $150 tops.

Frankly I doubt dealers want to accept those cameras for trade-in.
Thank you for you input. Yes I basically knew all that. I guess I needed some else's opinion. I guess I waited too long.
Anyway Much appreciated
Harry
Old August 7th, 2017, 07:36 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
I don't think you will get much for cameras of that vintage unfortunately. They were great cameras in their day, but that was 15 years ago.

You can see if B&H Photo will offer you anything here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/tr...CashInYourGear
Thank you for your input and advice. You confirmed my fears. I will check into your suggestion.
Thanks again. Much appreciated.
Harry
Old August 7th, 2017, 07:44 AM   #6
Trustee

Ebay would be my vote, or local Craigslist for maybe $100-200 each. You could also put an ad up here. I would think the main type of buyer would be someone who already has one or more of the same camera, looking for a backup or replacement. I would also consider donanting them to a school or church - determining their value for tax purposes might be easier than selling them outright on the market. Or keep them and just enjoy looking at them from time to time for nostalgia sake.
Old August 7th, 2017, 10:10 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Ebay would be my vote, or local Craigslist for maybe $100-200 each. You could also put an ad up here. I would think the main type of buyer would be someone who already has one or more of the same camera, looking for a backup or replacement. I would also consider donanting them to a school or church - determining their value for tax purposes might be easier than selling them outright on the market. Or keep them and just enjoy looking at them from time to time for nostalgia sake.
Nate
Thanks for the reply. Definitely will consider this and check into it.
Regards
Harry
Old August 8th, 2017, 06:58 AM   #8
Major Player

I would second the idea of donating to a school, and writing it off. Probably get the most value out of them, if you can write off closer to what you spent than what they're worth. Check with an accountant.
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #9
Major Player

tried to sell an old Canon XL 1 a few months ago, it wasn't in good condition. Ended up giving it away to a charity.

R
Old August 9th, 2017, 08:47 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Cantwell View Post
I would second the idea of donating to a school, and writing it off. Probably get the most value out of them, if you can write off closer to what you spent than what they're worth. Check with an accountant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cantwell View Post
tried to sell an old Canon XL 1 a few months ago, it wasn't in good condition. Ended up giving it away to a charity.

R
Bryan and Rob;
Thank you for the suggestion. The more I think about this the more logical it sounds. I've Been doing a lot of checking on ebay on how much I could get for my Camera's. Not much. However we have some High Schools in my area that are strapped for cash and might want them. They have a video and drama dept so they could put them to use. I'll check with my Tax man to see how much I could get as a deduction.
Many Thanks again.
Harry
Old August 9th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #11
Inner Circle

"For depreciated assets that are donated, your charitable donation is limited to the lower of its current market value or its net cost basis on your books (cost less depreciation). If it's fully depreciated, your deduction for donating it is zero."
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 06:47 AM   #12
Wrangler

It's sad to think about what we paid for expensive gear and what it's worth 10 or 15 years later, but that's what technology is like. Same thing with computers. Here's a true story that should give you a chuckle.

Cleaning out my dad's apartment after passed away in 1998, there was a lot of stuff to get rid of. He had an old Macintosh SE computer that was at least 10 years old. I knew it wasn't worth much, but thought someone could use it so I set it on top of a milk crate by the street with a sign that said "Free computer". When I got home from work, the milk crate was gone and the computer was sitting on the grass. ;)

Good luck with the cameras, I hope you find someone who wants them. You may find them hard to give away, not many people want to deal with tapes and firewire anymore. Let us know how it goes.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 08:59 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
"For depreciated assets that are donated, your charitable donation is limited to the lower of its current market value or its net cost basis on your books (cost less depreciation). If it's fully depreciated, your deduction for donating it is zero."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
It's sad to think about what we paid for expensive gear and what it's worth 10 or 15 years later, but that's what technology is like. Same thing with computers. Here's a true story that should give you a chuckle.

Cleaning out my dad's apartment after passed away in 1998, there was a lot of stuff to get rid of. He had an old Macintosh SE computer that was at least 10 years old. I knew it wasn't worth much, but thought someone could use it so I set it on top of a milk crate by the street with a sign that said "Free computer". When I got home from work, the milk crate was gone and the computer was sitting on the grass. ;)

Good luck with the cameras, I hope you find someone who wants them. You may find them hard to give away, not many people want to deal with tapes and firewire anymore. Let us know how it goes.
Boyd and Pete:
Thanks for this. Yes it is a shame to see the equipment fall in price like that. Amazing, simply amazing.
Regards
Harry
Old August 10th, 2017, 02:11 PM   #14
Inner Circle

The milk crate story made me laugh.

Usually a camera pays for itself after the first few jobs then it's all gravy after that. I've got a tape camera I'm looking to sell too. It still has value as a backup.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #15
Major Player

thats lol eh? milk crate! huh?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion