Getting rid of everything.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 8th, 2017, 05:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Getting rid of everything....

Seriously considering getting rid of my entire collection of camcorders and using my iphone5s. I am a hobbyist and have acquired a Canon XL2, JVC HD110u, Sony PD150 and PDX10. All of these cameras were acquired over a few years and i have not invested a fortune in them. They all work perfectly and produce some nice results. However, I am finding more and more that I am using the Iphone as it is so convenient, takes decent video if used correctly with the right accessories, and I always have it.

Anyone else had a crazy idea like this? I could see doing it and then regretting it....

cheers
KF
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 07:31 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Getting rid of everything....

I used to have a VX-2000, PDX-10 and HVR-Z1U but they are all long gone. Still have the original XDCAM-EX-1 all tricked out with a mattebox and Century/Schneider wide lens. I don't use it a lot, but would not want to give it up unless I got something better. I really like the all the image control, ergonomics and larger sensors of a "real" camera.

As for the others, I wouldn't think twice about getting rid of any SD cameras. They were great in their day, but I just don't see any need for them now, and working with tape is just a pain. I have an iPhone 6s Plus and agree that it is just great for family video and snapshots. The fact that it goes everywhere I do is a huge advantage in itself. I also have a Nikon D80 with some expensive lenses that I rarely use. But I would not want to get rid of it.

Now I used to have an iPhone 5s like yours and my only comment is that the camera on the newer phones is a big improvement. If I were going to ditch all my old cameras, I'd want something better than the 5s.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 09:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I use my mobile phone all the time to capture moments in my family life, like you said, it's the only video/photocamera I have permanently on me and, when a once in a lifetime moment happens I don't have time to run and fetch my videocamera. For anything else I never use my phone, not for my paid video work or when I plan a trip or even go on holiday, in such a case I select my gear based on what I want or have to achieve.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 08:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

the only drawback to using the phone is the lack of an eyepiece. i really struggle sometimes looking at the screen on the phone as the glare is awful.

Also, i would miss the great zoom i get with my xl2 using the adapter and the 35mm zoom lens 😀

Probably keep that one for that reason.

it is interesting though how the technology has changed so rapidly.

cheers
kf
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 12:39 AM   #5
Slash Rules!

I don't think you're crazy (not that I would do it myself). . .I mean do a search on the internet for "iphone rigs" and you will find many companies making handheld rigs and other devices geared toward pro shooting with iPhone. It is truly happening.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 06:51 AM   #6
Inner Circle

For personal use like vacations then iphone/mirrorless/dslrs is a no brainer. For commercial work those types of eng cameras have a place. IPhones are great but no zoom lens, view finder, pro audio.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion