Equipment recommendations for on-line course at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 21st, 2017, 02:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Equipment recommendations for on-line course

I'm designing an on-line course that teaches people how to create their own family history documentaries and I want to be able to suggest some decent but affordable gear. It will be mostly sit-down interviews and some b-roll. Any ideas for a low priced camcorder that could still provide a shallow depth of field? It's been a while since I used consumer-level equipment so I'm not sure how much they've improved. Would a DSLR be a better option?. Also a decent lower cost lav and some cheaper light kits. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thx
Old December 21st, 2017, 03:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Equipment recommendations for on-line course

All respect, but maybe this is all you need on the tech side: Make sure granny isn't sitting with her back to a window. Hold your smartphone horizontal. Go.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

It's true.

If you're going to futz around with consumer level equipment then you might as well get a cell phone and use it to shoot the video - they're giving pretty good results these days. I've even used one in a pinch (accident scene) and you can't tell the difference as I held it horizontal and steady.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2017, 07:57 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I agree most people are just going to go with the cheapest option and use what they have, a smart phone. Then it would come down to a tripod for a phone and lav mic. Although most people interested in family history are going to be older and not tech savvy to do any of this. You also should include how to import, edit and distribute (some phones have apps for that) it still gets complicated fast.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 06:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Several things to consider. Small sensors help get the focus right. There might be photos to scan and some of those may need restoration. Don’t forget artifacts. There is the workflow of getting all that to film. Then there is the task of reliably sending that production on its time voyage. After all, why do it if folks in the future never see it?
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 04:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Agreed, smartphone. You're USP (Unique Selling Point) can be that you 'teach them how to get the best outta their smartphone'. Things like working with llighting, a small tripod so its not handheld, placement of speaker vs windows, and composition.

You can have a segment giving recommendations to those buying gear, rather than suggest 1 camera I'd mention price ranges & what they get from them (sub $250, $250-500, $500+) or something along those lines, mention zooming to enable better composition based upon the rooms layout.

Lastly the big thing you'll need to recommend is a cheap, easy editing tool? I know there's freeware Photoshop type software, but I don't know of any aside from Windows Movie Maker, which I find terribly cumbersome the few times I ever tried it. Maybe there's tutorial vids out there for people.
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion