DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   How many ideas before you give up? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/535130-how-many-ideas-before-you-give-up.html)

Paul R Johnson December 24th, 2017 08:23 AM

How many ideas before you give up?

Client I've had for a long time. Want's a music video, and so far has rejected every idea put forward, and is keen to use things he has in his loading dock for the video. He does have an idea, but it's old, dull, boring, time consuming to shoot, and tricky to edit - and I'll probably just go with it to get him off my back, but I know the result he won't like. The subject is not going to be able to lip-sync and play the solo guitar in a realistic, repeatable manner - so I'll probably struggle. He has no budget to support multi-cam, and live recording, so it will have to be playback. Just not sure the single musician can cope - and one man and a guitar runs out of interest very quickly.

I'd suggested some more arty approaches where the lip-sync wouldn't be so vital, but no - he wants lots of detailed closeups that are going to be a nightmare. I'm struggling now to think of different approaches. We have no problems with kit, but the black background and floor seems to be unshakable. I've suggested that we do it with lots of haze and a single shaft of light, with some gentle fills for the shadows win the face, and some hair light from below - which should look nice - but he thinks it best to sit the guy on a stool, and wash the space with light revealing it's well, a loading dock to a warehouse space!

I really don't like the sound of that. I'd rather not even do that but no doubt, I probably will.

Brian Dollemore December 24th, 2017 09:31 AM

Re: How many ideas before you give up?

Long ago, in a different creative field, I reluctantly gave in to a presistent potential client, despite being certain 'it wouldn't work'. It didn't, and I had some trouble getting the guy to make any contribution to my fifty-odd hours input. Since then I've gone with my gut feeling and been able to work with enthusiasm rather than dread.

Josh Bass December 25th, 2017 01:12 AM

Is there any way to do a "proof of concept" or "mock up" version. . .like get the musician and record at the location, no lights, nothing fancy, just spend like an hour there, even if you don't get the whole song, edit it (no grading) and show him "this is what it would look like, with slightly better producion value"? I don't know if that's crazy or too much trouble. Sometimes people need to see it before they know they don't like it.

Paul R Johnson December 25th, 2017 08:48 AM

Not thought about that - but it could work. I'm not certain that he really gets it verbally or written down, so maybe wasting a while doing a rough shoot would at least let him see what it would look like - and how all the lights, haze and drapes are still going to leave it very exposed.

Ta!