How can I digitize DV tape without camcorder?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 18th, 2018, 01:47 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: How can I digitize DV tape without camcorder??

If you have firewire then all you need is a DV camcorder with in and out ports.(plenty on eBay) Many people in the USA used their camcorders to convert VHS this way. (the UK had an issue with licencing laws for an in port) So you have the best of both worlds - DV and Analog.
Old February 18th, 2018, 10:17 PM   #17
Major Player

Thankyou for all the replies so far, there seems to be no straightforward answer. No easy or inexpensive one anyway.

The issue with purchasing an old camera is there's no guarantee the import will work. Perhaps I do need to 'beg, borrow or steal' an old Mac laptop as Donald McPherson suggested. (Beg or borrow anyway).

If only there was a simple software to import the clips from an old camcorder (and separate them) then that would justify buying an old camcorder. A video equivalent of Mac's ImageCapture would be perfect.

The last time I ever did a DV tape import it was via FCP7 and imported the tape as a single 60 minute clip.

Back in the day, when I started out with iMovie 06 it would import with ease automatically chopping each individual clip into a separate file.

Frustratingly, Apple seem to only look ahead with little regard to the previous generation who might need to work with old tried and trusted methods.

I think I should borrow an old MacBook and camcorder if at all possible. The memories I want to resurrect are shared by a large number of friends, acquaintances and ex colleagues from all over the world. Regrettably, I imported only a few of the tapes when I'd had the chance. We all worked together in China on the worlds largest travelling fairground, employed by carnies from Wales.

There must be the hardware among them to do this. In return they'd get more wonderful memories.
Cameron Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 06:58 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
The OP is on a mac...

No scenealyzer, no WinDV.
Ooops! Sorry 'bout that:(

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 11:40 AM   #19
Wrangler

I don't see why this is so difficult. I have captured several hundred legacy DV tapes over the past couple years and still have hundreds left. I got the thunderbolt to firewire adapter mentioned earlier in this thread and it works perfectly with my MacBook Air and both legacy FInal Cut Pro and Final Cut Pro X. No drivers to install, no setup. Just plug it in and start capturing from your firewire device. Only "interesting" thing about this adapter is that it gets very hot - even if nothing is connected to it. So probably a good idea to disconnect it from your computer when not actually using it. I now have a 2012 quad core Mac Mini which is a pretty fast little machine but also has the advantage of one firewire port.

I got a used Sony HVR-M15u deck that works with DV, DVCAM and HDV tapes so this covers all the formats I used in the past. The price seemed reasonable and it has worked very well for me. A camera could work fine for you, but I wanted something a little more robust that could also do different formats. I got mine from Adorama, a big photo/video supplier in the US that offers a limited warranty on used gear. Surely there are some sources like this in your part of the world? I'd imagine there are also places that would rent you a deck.

I guess it all comes down to how important this video is to you. You are going to have to spend a little money, but I don't know why you would need a different computer, just get the firewire to thunderbolt adapter and either a camera or deck.

Do you still have your old copy of Final Cut Pro? Mine still runs on MacOS Sierra, but when I want to use it then I boot into Mountain Lion which also runs all my other expensive legacy software.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 04:34 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I don’t get it either all he needs is a firewire adapter and a cheap consumer camcorder. I already suggested it a few post back.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 06:35 PM   #21
Wrangler

Agreed. I don't really understand the thread title "how can I digitize a DV tape without camcorder?". Obviously you will need some kind of playback device, either a camcorder or a tape deck. And I think just about anything that will play a DV tape will have a firewire port....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 08:45 AM   #22
Major Player

I've also done this - about 60 tapes over the last five years for family members. I've discovered that often using the exact model camera the tapes were filmed on gives better results, so I borrowed the original cameras from the family member or bought dirt cheap camcorders from Ebay ($30-$50 each). I used a recent iMac, the firewire adapter, and FCPX.
David Dixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion