DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   UPS setup dilemma (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/536353-ups-setup-dilemma.html)

Paul Mailath October 25th, 2018 11:37 PM

UPS setup dilemma

I'm finally sick of brownout & blackouts disrupting my work and damaging hardware so I need a UPS solution - just wondering what you guys are doing?

I have to i7 editing computers and 3 separate synology raid servers all on the network. having a separate UPS for each is nonsensical but each only has one usb port for connection. I'm currently looking at a cyberpower 1500 with a network management card and using the business edition software to issue shutdown commands to everything on the network. I don't need to keep working, I just need to save & shut down gracefully.

Jim Feeley October 26th, 2018 03:29 PM

Re: UPS setup dilemma

A dozen years ago, I bought two APC SmartUPS 1400 systems from RefurbUPS. Great prices, came with new batteries, have worked really well. In my old office with sorta spiky power, I appreciated the line conditioning... I also like the battery life that gives me time to safe and shut down gracefully. I don't bother with the software control, though.
Save on UPS Battery Replacement, APC RBC Replacement Battery Cartridges , UPS Battery Kits | RefurbUPS.com

If you're not sure how "big" a UPS you need, check out their calculator that lets you add workstations, monitors, etc:
UPS Sizing Calculator

I learned about RefurbUPS from some other video people who used their products to protect their edit suites.

Paul Mailath October 27th, 2018 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've calculated my needs using the powershield caclulator - 797va and I'm looking at the Cyberpower 1500 but what I don't clearly understand is how to use 1 UPS to shutdown more than one PC or NAS

Seth Bloombaum October 28th, 2018 11:40 AM

I’ve used that exact UPS, it always seemed like great value for less cost. And it can be rack-mounted, I had one in a road rack for a while.

After briefly checking out auto-shutdown, I decided to go all manual. This meant adopting some rules for myself:
Protected gear was only turned on when I was actively using it.
In the case of extended or overnight exports/renders, only when I was on-site.
When I was off-site, I powered down the UPS.

In other words, I depended on my own, manual shutdowns, and adapted my working style to it. That seemed simpler. Simpler seemed better. Too many potential and untested interactions between drivers and OS upgrades are something I’ve learned to avoid, I’ve learned to go simple as a way to keep the forces of chaos at bay, the first step of managing complexity is to make simpler what I can. YMMV.

And, yes, it was put to the test a handful of times. Once saved the show in a live production, a couple other times survived power outages in good form.

Don’t forget to protect a monitor to manage shutdown, and any other peripherals you want to control.