The Death of DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 17th, 2018, 10:19 AM   #1
New Boot

The Death of DVD

The death of DVD is quickling coming. I expect DVD to have come to an end in less then 5 years.

With that said I need to switch to an electronic only delivery format. The internet happens so fast and it is extremely difficult to keep up with all the changes.

I basically need to have a link to download a file. If I can password protect the file on a user to user basis. So I.P. for user password one time download.

If that is not fee sable then I would do a lump sum payment of unlimited downloads to all that have access to the link.

I can not to this with my server as it would be too expensive for bandwidth.

What websites would offer what I need for a reasonable price. Reasonable obviously meaning

1. Cheapest
2. Reliable
3. Fast Server

Thanks in advance. VideoSilva.com
Paul Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: The Death of DVD

Don't you hate when you post a question, and someone gives a different suggestion...

Since your current business model involves delivering a physical disc,
have you considered delivering thumb drives instead of a DVD?
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2018, 12:10 AM   #3
Major Player

it's going to happen, obviously. But that would be a tragedy for us. Make no mistake: once the footage is on-line (regardless of passwords or restrictions) or in a flash memory stick will be copied and diffused for free. Period.
let's stick with the DVD until we can. Te future doesn't look good for distribution. The only way is to get paid in advance, and in full, and then post on-line for all to see and for free. It's the only way.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2018, 12:21 AM   #4
New Boot

USB sticks might be the future but it is not quite there yet thus why we still have DVD. U.S.B. sticks are cost prohibitive.
Old November 18th, 2018, 02:09 AM   #5
Major Player

And me waiting for consumer level UHD BD burners,

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2018, 03:25 AM   #6
Major Player

John Lewis pulls the plug on DVD's
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45950477
Old November 18th, 2018, 04:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

But you can use Blu Ray players for DVDs, which John Lewis continue to sell..
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2018, 05:59 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Actually USB's are quite cheap IF they still made a 4GB USB so it would be comparable to a DVD at 4.7GB

Where we are I struggle to find 8GB USB's so have to end up buying 16GB drives ... I'm sure 4GB drives would be cheaper if they were available!!

The other attitude is to figure out the cost of a DVD, case, printing and duplication time and also what percentage of your job goes to media?? It might be quite OK to pay $10 for a USB and a job where you are getting 50X more in fees. You can also just apply a small price increase and the year start to cover USB's
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2018, 02:04 PM   #9
Major Player

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swivel-Flas...in%3A310779031
Old November 18th, 2018, 03:13 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson View Post
And me waiting for consumer level UHD BD burners,

Ron
I have this burner in my PC https://www.canadacomputers.com/prod...item_id=067562 The missing piece is authoring software for UHD discs.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2018, 03:28 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I would switch to USB sticks but feel that my job is not done as the person can come back to you and say " the stick you gave me with video will not play or the there is no video on it". Then I will have to put it back on the stick for them. At lest with a dvd when they are done and you can test them and they work and the person comes back and say this only played once but will not play again or it did not play to well. All I do is look at the disk for scratches or finger prints and if any then I show it to them and say "sorry this disk has been not been looked after or show them the finger prints on them and then I will give it a quick clean with a soft cloth if I have one in the car or tell them to clean it with a soft cloth."

I have done a lot of testing as in trying to make a memory stick/ USB stick "read only" so the file can not be deleted or even formatted but it may be on one system but not another.
Tony McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2018, 07:16 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Tony

I honestly used to have a lot of issues with brides coming to me and saying the DVD plays on my Mum's player but not mine..in the end I found that using LG disks and an LG writer seemed to solve the problem but they are hard to find nowdays DVD players DO have disk compatibility issues but computers seem to be able to read any disk!

I do agree that there is no real cost effective alternative. The other issue of course, that people often don't realise is that a double cased DVD case has a much higher "perceived value" as it's physically bigger so when you present your client with 3 nicely printed DVD cases for your $1000 job they see value. Do the same job and give them a tiny 8GB USB stick and the "perceived value" drops dramatically.

When I used to do wedding photography in the old days, the bride used to get a huge album packed in tissue paper and that, of course, had a high perceived value. Nowdays they get a tiny USB in the mail which doesn't create the same impression.

On line delivery is great but how are we going to give it the same value as a physical item??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2018, 08:36 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony McGuire View Post
I would switch to USB sticks but feel that my job is not done as the person can come back to you and say " the stick you gave me with video will not play or the there is no video on it". Then I will have to put it back on the stick for them. At lest with a dvd when they are done and you can test them and they work and the person comes back and say this only played once but will not play again or it did not play to well. All I do is look at the disk for scratches or finger prints and if any then I show it to them and say "sorry this disk has been not been looked after or show them the finger prints on them and then I will give it a quick clean with a soft cloth if I have one in the car or tell them to clean it with a soft cloth."

I have done a lot of testing as in trying to make a memory stick/ USB stick "read only" so the file can not be deleted or even formatted but it may be on one system but not another.
You have positively tested for not format or deletion ? Was it successful ?
Old November 19th, 2018, 03:08 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Paul,

I made a USB sitck read only on a windows pc then I tryed deleting or formatting on anohter windows pc but could not. I put the same stick in a mac or a linux pc and I could delete the file and I also could format it. I also tryed the other way and round and on a windows pc I could then delete or format the stick that was read only in a mac of if it was done in a linux pc it also could be formatted or the files could be deleted in a windows pc.

I have also have done research in to memory chips that would be in side a usb stick 98% of them have a pin on the chip that is used to enable write mode of the chip it also can be used to disable it as in making it read only.
Tony McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 03:15 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

I know what you mean when they get a nice dvd box and a nice dvd that is printed on. I have found away around dvds not working. Well this works for me, when buring the image to disk I do it at the slowest speed I can then I test the master disk in 3 different dvd players and if it works then I duplicate from it at as a slow speed and never had any problems. I do know one of my dvd players do not like disk burned a high speed and another one has a problem if I lock them to a region as region 2 for me but it will play any bought dvds that is locked to region 2. I have stopped locking dvd to regions.
Tony McGuire is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion