Major PC issues. 911 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 1st, 2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Major PC issues. 911

Happy New Year!... I'll try to keep this brief. I'm just looking for any thoughts/ideas:
I replaced our family computer with a Refurbished HP Z420 (very similar specs to my editing pc), last year. It was fantastic, for the first year, but many issues have emerged, in the past 6 months.

Essentially, the computer kept crashing (random corrupt files, blue-screens, automatic "attempting to repair", etc...

After many wipes and fresh installs, the hard-drive eventually wasn't recognized by the PC, and I had nowhere to install Windows to. I ended up getting an SSD for the OS drive, and a WD Blue 1TB as a storage drive.

It worked great, for 3 or 4 weeks, and now it has been randomly restarting itself. Last night, it just kept turning on/off, over and over. After unplugging it, my son had it running fine, and then the problem began again.

Could this be a power issue? Maybe a bad power supply? I wouldn't take it as a memory issue, but perhaps? It seems strange that it would run flawlessly with the new drives, but only for a while.

Specs:
HP Z420
Z series
600W power supply
Windows 10 Pro
Intel C602
Xeon 6 core, 3.2GHz
1600MHz FSB
Nvidia Quadro 600 DDR3
16 GB DDR3 1600

Thanks for any input!
Ryan Laytart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2019, 02:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Major PC issues. 911

Likely a memory issue but this computer is a bit past its lifetime. I would not spend too much good money after bad on it and consider something more modern.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2019, 03:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That's what I'm trying to avoid, but it runs beautifully, if it's just a simple fix. So, memory would cause all this? Well, let me say that they installed server memory in this computer. They "assured" me that it isn't an issue.
Old January 1st, 2019, 04:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You can get free memory testing software. It works the same as hard drive testers, writing 1s and 0s to every bit. It takes a long time but leaves no doubt. Another method is if you have multiple sticks of ram pull all of them, then put only one in and run the computer. If the ram checks out ok it could be the mobo.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2019, 05:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you. I'll try it.
Old January 1st, 2019, 07:01 PM   #6
Equal Opportunity Offender

Also, take out the memory chips and wipe along the connector with alcohol wipes. Just like mobile phone SIM cards playing up, a layer of oxidisation can accumulate on the copper contacts which becomes enough to change the level of resistance. This in turn can give you some impossible to track down issues.

While you're in there, do this for the add in cards such as the video card in addition to using pressured air to blow out any accumulated dust.

Do let us know how you go with this.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2019, 01:45 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi all..................

This sounds like an action replay of a problem I had about two years ago.

I had my 10 yo system rebuilt in its entirety into my original Coolermaster CM stacker case,(yes, they really do have wheels, cos you sure as hell can't carry the things) re-using ONLY my 700 watt PS (hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!). New raided hard drives, the lot.

Ran like a dream for three months, then bang. Problem after problem - hangs, error messages, BSOD's, the lot.

Finally replaced PS, bingo, all's right with the world once more.

Sound familiar?

Regards,

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2019, 02:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Sounds very familiar, and it really makes sense. I'll be ordering a new one, next. I'll check back after I've tried everything.

Thanks!
Old January 8th, 2019, 01:17 PM   #9
Regular Crew

From the symptoms described, I would strongly suspect a power supply issue, and would start there first.

- Greg
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 05:56 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Update - BluRay drive

Just an update... I picked up a new power supply, at Best Buy. Brought it home and realized I needed an adapter for the main connector (24-pin to 18-pin). The adapter was delivered today, and upon getting it all installed, the pc worked for a bit, then did the same thing. Shut itself off, restarted, then did so several times, without even getting to the windows screen. On a hunch, I disconnected the blu-ray drive. It's been working fine, since then.

Anyone ever hear of a disc drive causing all this mayhem? I suppose any malfunctioning hardware could do the same thing?

I'm hoping this truly was the solution, but if it happens again, I'll check back. Thanks for all the input.

Ryan
Old January 8th, 2019, 07:54 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Computers are difficult to troubleshoot usually a process of elimination. Sounds like you figured it out.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion