Is it possible to pull focus on a lens while crash zooming? - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 15th, 2019, 03:01 PM   #181
Inner Circle

Re: Is it possible to pull focus on a lens while crash zooming?

If the deep focus is distracting during your fights and chases, you've got a problem with your fight and chase. The eye always follows the action, even if it's in the soft background.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 02:25 AM   #182
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks, but what could the problem be then likely, if they are distracted by the deep focus background?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 03:29 AM   #183
Inner Circle

How you compose, light the shot and if your action is unconvincing will be a factor. I watched "Bullett" the other night, much of it has a pretty deep depth of field action and other stiff, mixed with shallower hero shots.
Old February 17th, 2019, 10:49 AM   #184
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks, I can watch Bullitt again, and see how it looks.

Since I was told to get Rokinon lenses, because they have manual focus ring, I read from b & h that Rokinon lenses do not have image stabilization. Is this true though? Cause in the past I found not having it to be a problem, if I want to do shots where the camera moves.
Old February 17th, 2019, 12:50 PM   #185
Inner Circle

It's an issue with small. lightweight poorly balanced cameras. Users buy camera rigs for their DSLR cameras to try simulate what a well designed film or video camera does when being used for hand held work.

The gimbal mounts have become popular because of this issue on DSLRs. There are other stabilization devices that work with these small cameras.

On a drama, a camera dolly is a handy piece of kit, you can make your own if need be. They can also be rented for a wide range of prices.

Digital cinema and film cameras don't normally use lenses with image stabilization.
Old February 17th, 2019, 08:21 PM   #186
Inner Circle

I can only imagine how fun it’s going to be to film action scene with a super telephoto lens.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 10:46 PM   #187
Slash Rules!

Yes I have been trying to follow the logic on that. I sort of think I understand where he’s coming from but it seems like that kind of lens would only be usedul in certain very specific shots which are not typically what I think of when I think of action scenes.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 02:18 AM   #188
Inner Circle

Hopefully he's using the 300mm on exteriors or large industrial interiors if it's being used on action shots. You also need a very good/excellent tripod if following action with a long lens.

I assumed the 300mm was being used on static shots. eg a dialogue scene.
Old February 18th, 2019, 07:40 AM   #189
Inner Circle

I believe one of the scenes he wanted to use it for is a car chase which I couldn’t imagine being static. I agree it’s specialized lens, probably its shallow dof is it’s most useful attribute.

I’ve been trying to bite my tongue because I’m sounding overly critical on a subject I’m not an expert on. I think OP would benefit by working under someone else first. I’m a great believer of learning by doing or observing someone who knows what they’re doing. The answer to many of these questions would be second nature to anyone who had been through the process.

I continuely get the feeling we’re trying to give landing instructions to someone who has never flown a plane before.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; February 18th, 2019 at 12:28 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 10:36 AM   #190
Inner Circle

Long lenses have been used many times in car chases, they'd be more of a problem on interior shots.

Car chases are dangerous, so should be treated with caution. people have been killed filming them.

Yes, I suspect OP has limited experience,
Old February 18th, 2019, 02:16 PM   #191
also known as Ryan Wray

I'm using the long lens for running chase scenes mostly like in this scene here, you can see how the long lens, pans with the actor, as he is running, especially near the end of the scene:

I'm also using it for shots where you want actors to appear closer together, even though they are not. Like at 1:00 into this over the shoulder shot, notice how the actors look much closer than they are for the OTS shot, with the long lens:

This is what I wanted a telephoto lens for, shots like these. For the running chase scene, I did some tests, and it seems that if it's at least 300mm, it can track with an actor for a very long time.

So wouldn't a telephoto lens be good for shots like these?
Old February 18th, 2019, 02:47 PM   #192
Inner Circle

As I mentioned, you need a good tripod for that type of shot.
Old February 18th, 2019, 02:58 PM   #193
also known as Ryan Wray

Yep for sure. In The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly clip though, it seems that in about 6:16 into the clip, that the camera is moving very fast. I read that the longer then lens, the faster it looks when you pan. How long is that lens at 6:16 into the clip. It looks long than a 300mm caues when I pan with a 300mm with a running person, it doesn't look as fast, so they probably used a lens longer than 300mm, no?
Old February 18th, 2019, 04:53 PM   #194
Inner Circle

That film was shot in Techniscope, 2 perf pull down 35mm. It looks longer than a 25 to 250 zoom. perhaps a 400mm. or 500mm Kilar telephoto.
Old February 18th, 2019, 05:27 PM   #195
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, thanks, it looks at least 400 to me judging by how fast the background is moving, as I cannot get it to move that fast when someone is running on my 300mm. So perhaps I need one that can zoom to even 400mm or 500mm.

But are there any lenses with a mechanical focus ring that are good for that, that are under $1000, even if used, since Rokinon doesn't make any that go that high? I thought about a used Canon 150-600, but not sure if that is a fly-by-wire ring or not, or how the quality is on those.

What about the lens in this clip at 10:24 into the clip, would this be a 400mm or more?

Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion