Broadcast/Cable specs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 4th, 2019, 08:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Broadcast/Cable specs

Greetings -

Our production team produces a wide array of video content for many different outlets. The problem I'm experiencing is with the overall quality of the spots we run on on broadcast TV and cable. When we see the playback of our spots in the wild (at home, restaurants, etc.) the spots seem to be be less vivid, less crisp, and often the colors will look off, especially when compared with other local spots in the same break.

For reference, we shoot:
- in a studio, on green screen
- 30fps, 1/60, 1080
- Edit in Premiere Pro
- Color-calibrated monitors
- Graphics at 72dpi
- Export to MPEG-2

I think it's understood that not all Master Controls centers are created equally, but this seems to go beyond an operator error during ingestion. It's also an issue that seems to be similar across the board at every station it airs on. In other words, it almost seems like the spot looks pretty good on our systems, but it really doesn't look good at all when compared to others. This claim is further corroborated when viewing a spot produced by another production company either on our desktops as a file, or on TV, the other spot always has a superior quality and clearness about it.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Broadcast/Cable specs-capture-01.jpg   Broadcast/Cable specs-capture-02.jpg  

Dan Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Broadcast/Cable specs

Apart from the fact that broadcast uses a 60fps temporal resolution instead of the 30fps you provide, I do not see anything odd with your settings. At any rate, the difference in temporal resolution should not influence the colors or luminance.

I assume your monitors are calibrated for video levels Rec.709.

Could you provide a small sample of what you export?
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion