Advice on compressing to MP4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 23rd, 2019, 05:53 PM   #1
Tourist

Advice on compressing to MP4

I'm submitting a feature documentary to a festival with very specific upload requirements and am having no luck getting a watchable copy at these specs. I'm a novice at compression techniques, and using Apple Compressor. Any advice on how to get this looking passable would be greatly appreciated. It's a 77 min 1080p feature, 23.976, stereo audio. When I try to encode at 1.5 Mbps (1500 kbps) I end up with a file a little over one GB, which looks unusable. I'm compressing from a 138.8 GB 422 Pro Res HQ master. Thanks.

Specs provided by festival:

Container: MP4 (H.264)
Max File Size: 2 GB
Max Bit Rate: 1.5 Mbps
Constant Frame Rate (CFR)
(Variable Frame Rate (VFR) is NOT acceptable.)
Jesse Alk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 06:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Advice on compressing to MP4

You can give Handbrake a try. I use the Best Quality preset in Apple Compressor then re encode with Handbrake at around RF22. But honestly at that low of bit rate especially at constant it’s going to look bad no matter what you use.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

At that low of a bitrate, you need to be in SD. Just deliver your movie in that resolution.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 07:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

agreed or 720p as a compromise
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 10:29 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Somewhat agreeing with the above posts!

Throw your ProRes HQ master into Handbrake.

Figure out the not-quite-intuitive settings to bring it down to 720p, and, use the Bitrate method at 1.5Mbps instead of the Constant Quality method (the RF numbers, which for your specs would involve some trial and error).

Unless there’s a lot of picture complexity (handheld shaky camera, moving water, leaves/grass blowing in wind, sports) you should get a good result - please post back as to how this works for you. If there is a lot of picture complexity, you’d next consider 854x480, which should be great at 1.5Mbps even if complex.

Note that Handbrake includes the best MP4 encoder (x264), the best scaler to get your resolution down (Lancsoz), and, incidentally, the best deinterlacing method (Yadif). It’s been quite some time since I used Apple Compressor; Handbrake is excellent.
Old January 24th, 2019, 05:15 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I don't disagree with what has been suggested, although my main work is weddings which I convert to mp4 at a variable BR of minimum 10mbs and max of 14mbs to maintain a decent image quality. That BR gives me a maximum file length of 55minutes which will allow for 4Gb limit on Fat 32 formatted sticks. I use Fat 32 as it is the most universally readable in my experience. I also use variable BR to allow for any sections that contain more movement.

Using those figures would mean reducing the Bitrate to about 7mbs min and 10mbs max to accomodate your 77 minutes in one file on a Fat 32 drive. I would suggest testing short clips of perhaps 30 secs each to see what is acceptable to you with different bitrates.

JUST EDITED TO SAY: Sorry, missed the spec submitted at the bottom of your post, so 3.5mbs would be about the best you could use for one file at 77mins. I think they are expecting too much if they want decent quality within the spec they have suggested and will look poor on any reasonable sized screen in my opinion if limited to 1.5mbs and 2 Gbs. Also just a thought, H265 would possibly give better results than H264

Roger

Last edited by Roger Gunkel; January 24th, 2019 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Missed your original spec
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 09:40 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I would not use H.265 unless that is absolutely in the spec. H.265 requires horsepower to decode, and it may not even be compatible with what they may be using on the backend, just stay away from that.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2019, 10:04 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
...Also just a thought, H265 would possibly give better results than H264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
I would not use H.265 unless that is absolutely in the spec. H.265 requires horsepower to decode, and it may not even be compatible with what they may be using on the backend, just stay away from that.
I have to agree with Gary here. h.265 delivers great quality at bitrates of 1/3 to 1/2 that of h.264 in my testing. But, I’m frequently running into compatability issues on playback, even on devices that list compatibility. It’s gonna’ be great someday...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion