Need to loop a video on a tablet...help? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 22nd, 2019, 08:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Need to loop a video on a tablet...help?

I need to put a video with audio on a tablet and have it loop continuously. We are thinking an iPad but the tablet hasn't been purchased yet so I can suggest other options.

Not being a gadget guy myself, my research so far indicates this is more difficult than it should be.
Any ideas on what tablet to get and how to get the video onto it and loop it?

I tried to go to the old apple forum I used to go to on occasion, but it seems to be gone now. So I don't know where to turn
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2019, 09:34 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Need to loop a video on a tablet...help?

Download a copy of VideoLan, or VLC as it's known, it's a versatile player and is freeware, available for windows and mac. Select the loop tool in the playback window. Done.

How to get the video on your tablet will depend on the tablet, many connect via usb to your computer for direct file share. Or you may need to copy the video file onto a micro-sd card and sneakernet it from your computer to the tablet. I am windows and android user so I can't tell you specifically about macs procedures. But if this is a single purpose device you may find an android tablet more cost efficient than an ipad, my two cents.

There is an Android version of VLC you can download from the Google PlayStore. I have run this on an Android tablet when I want to show a sample of my work, works fine. (See edit)

/// edit: I downloaded the current android vlc while I was thinking about it, this version may be problematic; maxing out ram and the videos are hanging. I am on an older galaxy tablet, don't know if this would happen with a newer one.

/// additional info, upon further research, there is a PlayStore app, freeware, called IVideo Player, which runs and loops nicely. VLC might also work in a more recent and higher-ram tablet, and works a treat on my laptop. Both are free, so no cost to try.

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; April 22nd, 2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: addendum
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2019, 05:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you very much. Is Ivideo for android?

I do believe this tablet will be used for single purpose - connected to an exhibit/display
Old April 22nd, 2019, 06:39 PM   #4
Trustee

Yes IVideo is Android, download from Google Play Store. When you run it there is a control panel that appears when you click under the video, the usual start/stop icons. At the lower right is a circle, which is the loop selector. Click to enable or disable (a line shows through the circle when disabled.) Works nicely, thanks for providing the opportunity to find this.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2019, 08:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you very much. I'm an idiot when it comes to these consumer gadgets.
Funny thing is I know a bunch of girls who have smart phones and tablets attached to them nearly all the time yet none of them knew either.

I think I'm going to try to convince them to go android. Since I have mainly pc it may be easier to get the video onto it too
Old April 23rd, 2019, 12:02 AM   #6
Major Player

Remember and keep the tablet plugged into the charger so the battery does not run down.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion