DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Shooting sports - never done it before (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/54339-shooting-sports-never-done-before.html)

Matt Brabender November 14th, 2005 02:06 AM

Shooting sports - never done it before

I'm going to be shooting some motorcycle racing with a Sony PDX10P.
Most of my experience is editing and shooting the odd interview so, although I know how to operate a camera and know a good shot when I see it, being in the field and getting those good shots myself is a whole other thing.

So I am after any advice anyone can offer.
I have some idea of the coverage I want - such as getting the actual racing, pit action, and a few interviews etc... but I'm worried that being there and being able to see the good shots vs the bland might be more tricky than it looks.
Especially for high speed sports.
There will be bikes with onboard cameras so that's taken care of, and there may be another couple of track side cameras.

I have a practice day in less than a week where I can practice, review and get a feel for it so I was hoping some people could chime in with advice on maybe what to get, an idea of where to be and maybe what not to do.

With only one day to practice, I want to go with a rough idea on what to capture.

Any words of wisdom?

Dennis Khaye November 14th, 2005 02:34 AM

Probably don't need to do a lot of it but if you can get somewhere high and get some coverage of the overall track while they're racing, it will help your viewers orientate themselves. Maybe not the whole thing but a quarter at time would be good.

Talk to the riders (the good ones anyway) they'll know where the passing lanes are, station yourself there for some good action.

Not sure if you're going to be shooting the prelims or just the main but the qualifiers will give you a chance to practice too.

Relax, have fun, don't think too much. It's a fast sport, be fluid.

George Ellis November 14th, 2005 07:02 AM

If you have a shotgun mic, use it. Tracks usually have a PA system that will overwhelm onboard and you will lose the bike's engine under the announcer.

Matt Brabender November 14th, 2005 04:06 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.
I do have a shotgun so I'll make sure I use that.

Passing spots are definately something I want to capture so having a chat to the racers about the hot spots is great advice - thankyou

Ash Greyson November 14th, 2005 11:01 PM

I shoot tons of sports, I just shot 4 days of NASCAR last weekend. Get some fin angles, not just from your eye view. Get some extreme low and some from the top of the stands. Also, experiment with a high shutter speed, especially on close-ups of the wheels, dirt, etc.

ash =o)

Matt Brabender November 14th, 2005 11:32 PM

Hi Ash
Thanks for the advice

Have you found it's just a matter or experimenting and walking around until you see a good shot or see a good angle?
Or do you have certain things in mind before you start shooting?

Greg Boston November 14th, 2005 11:47 PM

Another thing you should get shots of are the riders faces. Start on a tight shot while they are away and go wide as they come toward you to maintain the framing of a head shot. Facial expressions are IMHO one of the things that conveys the essence of the moment..good or bad.

-gb-

Matt Brabender November 15th, 2005 12:00 AM

Greg, thankyou!

This is great advice by all - thankyou - keep it coming :D

George Ellis November 15th, 2005 06:05 AM

Instead of the riders, I would talk to any SCCA corner workers if it is at a track that uses them. They are very familar with the track, where the passes and crashes are, and know where your best view of it is going to be.

(looks at collection of clutch and brake grips from incidents that I worked at Road Atlanta)