"movie mode" of XL1s compared to.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 11th, 2002, 11:50 PM   #1
gateway1

"movie mode" of XL1s compared to....

the 24p film or "movie mode" of the panasonic dvx100? I hear the dvx is much better, but was wondering what people who have seen examples of both?
Old December 12th, 2002, 01:18 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Frame mode is 30fps in the XL1. The DVX100 shoots progressive scan in both 30fps and 24fps. Though similar, (frames instead of fields), the DVX100 will have sharper progressive footage. This is because it uses progressive scan CCDs, and the resolution is higher. Which one looks better? I don't know. This would depend on what you find looks better.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 09:44 AM   #3
Major Player

DVX100

I went to B&H video yesterday with the same question. I tried out both and the DVX100 was, in my opinion, better. The XL1 frame mode seems to stutter a lot more, while the DVX100 seems relatively smooth by comparison, while still maintaining that "film look". The image was also sharper on the DVX100.

I'm not sure if what you're using it for is straight to video or transfer to film, but it seemed that the higher resolution and 24p make the DVX100 a better choice for film. If it's staying in video format, either one will work, depending on which look you prefer. Anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 10:29 AM   #4

The jury is still out on the Panny DVX. It will probably be a year before the hype and hoopla dies back to a level where some pragmatic critical evaluation will be heard. As of this moment, it seems the panny is more hoopla than reality...hehehehe.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 01:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Apart from the 24p which is good for the "movie makers" or the people who love to see the typical temporal artifacts of movies on their TV screen, there is no reason why the DVX would be "special". Even the gamma gimmick is nothing special and often very scene dependant whether or not this will result in the better picture. I hardly believe it has the sensitivity and noise performance of a VX2000. Maybe some people like the (somewhat) higher wideangle optics and other prefer the 12x zoom of the vx2000 as the standard build-in optics. Lots of people get trapped by the degree of artifical sharpening when they evaluate natural pictures. We have to get rid of these "tricks" because in many cases they deteriorate the real pixture quality and tend to male it "electric". Specifically vertical sharpening introduces or enhances all kinds of twitter, and other aliasing effects when there is motion in interlaced images.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion