Filming from a war zone - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 22nd, 2002, 09:19 AM   #16
New Boot

Thanks for all the tips! I'm almost overwhelmed by all your concern for me. I will of course think both once and twice before every move i make.

I have to leave now, the plane takes off in a few hours.

Ruben
Ruben Broman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 09:55 AM   #17
Major Player

Well I would like to backup what everyone is saying, because i have actually been there.

I was not doing any photography, just a plain old tourist visiting family in Israel, within the week i was there i always seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

1. A suicide bombed blew up a bus while i was around 100 meters away visiting a local market. If i was a bit closer i don't know what would have happened to me.

2. I got held up at machine gun point, by israeli then pal. soldiers on two different occasions, the only reason i am typing this is quick thinking, and showing my 'australian passport'.

3. about 2 people down from me while walking down a seemingly quiet street had their head removed my a sniper bullet, and the people i was with almost suddenly just kicked down a door next to us and we flew into a total strangers house. Lets just say i checked myself into the hilton the next day and didn't leave it until i went home.

Be very very careful, and always be the first to point out 'you are NOT a local' you have nothing to do with what is going on, and please whatever you do, don't run around with american stuff plasted all over your clothes, or anything that shows any kind of national support. This can cause trouble no matter where you are.

Be sure to wear completly plain clothes and never make yourself noticed.

Ohh and take a huge bottle of water with you wherever you go, I am from australia and it was damn hot for me.

Kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2002, 09:53 PM   #18
Wrangler

There is a book called (I think) The Pen and the Sword: A Guide to.... I do not remember who the author is. They talked about it today on CSPAN, but I think the original story was run 11/15 or 11/16 of this year.

It was also a good day to look at some of the training war correspondents go through. If you know anyone who tapes CSPAN you might want to play today's offerings...it might save your life.

P.S. It convinced me you have to be both brave and daft to do it, but man it looks exciting.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2002, 01:09 AM   #19
ottotune

Friends

As a former veteran and amateur photographer the one thing I have not seen mentioned is 'friends'.

As a photographer (any type video / still / whatever) we all know how eaten up we can get looking through a viewfinder, trying to get that perfect shot. Have AT LEAST one other individual to observe the big picture, the picture not in the view finder. A guy to look behind you and to the sides of you. This is not the sound guy! This is someone who has the job of just knowing what is going on and is willing to slap you on the back of the head and tell you to "Stop doing that, NOW!"

=====

As a side note: You just don't see footage shot by a 'grunt'. The reason is that if you have an extra pocket in which to place a camera, take the camera out and put in a couple more 20 round magazines. If a grunt is going out for three days, they take one day's worth of food and in the space saved by removing the food, keep extra magazines of ammo. There is nothing worse than being out of ammo but having more than enough hot chocolate and canned beans. Being hungry is something you can live through.

Carrying a camera as a grunt screws up your situational awareness.
Edward Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2002, 08:27 AM   #20
New Boot

Thank you all for your helpful advices!

I've been here for almost two days now and haven't been able to film anything yet. Instead I've been pointed at with both sniper rifles and M16's. In a few days I guess I'll know my ways around and may be able to shot a few pictures.

About the heat, I've found out that the big problem is the lack of heat. It's almost constantly raining and I think it's like 10-15 degrees celsius. The biggest problem, I think is the mud.

Bye, Ruben
Ruben Broman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2002, 08:38 AM   #21
Wrangler

Yeah, in the CSPAN special they reported that in Vietnam it was more than once that camera crew picked up rifles and fired back to prevent from being overrun. Once, a camera crew took over a machine gun position after the soldiers manning the postion were killed.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2002, 10:21 AM   #22
Inner Circle

ottotune, have you ever seen the short film
Charlie Mopic? Probably should be shown to everyone who
wants to go into a hot zone.

BTW, many years ago, I lived in Baumholder, just up the road from you. I don't even know if the Army uses it any more.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion