DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Frame rate choppiness after deinterlacing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/55315-frame-rate-choppiness-after-deinterlacing.html)

Justin Wilkins December 1st, 2005 07:30 AM

Frame rate choppiness after deinterlacing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I captured to DV-AVI and it is heavily interlaced when viewing on PC (as expected). When previewing through software such as WMM and Nero ShotTime, however, the playback appears progressive (so I asssume deinterlacing is done in realtime), but the framerate appears just as I would expect. After encoding and deinterlacing however, playback is just not up to standard - it is choppy and seems more like a slideshow. On pause, the image looks as though two frames were mixed together.

Is there any way to emulate the far superior playback of DV-AVI through WMM and Nero after encoding. Resultant file size not too important. I would like the video to be progressive, though.

I have already tried encoding through VirtualDub and WMM.
Many thanks,
Justin

Dan Euritt December 1st, 2005 10:47 AM

computer monitors do not have fields like ntsc video does, so it's not possible to view interlaced footage... it's frames-only... do not use computer monitors for serious evaluation of video that is intended for use on tv's.

what is the final destination of your footage? computer or tv?

Justin Wilkins December 1st, 2005 11:59 PM

Yes, when I view the interlaced video through Windows Media Player it looks terrible (interlaced). Viewing it through Nero ShowTime or Windows Movie Maker preview mode, it looks amazing - smooth and good definition... no ugly artifacts I can see. This leads me to believe there is some kind of filter that works on the fly to deinterlace this video for viewing. When I encode to WMV (which auto-deinterlaces) or deinterlaced DivX, the frames are choppy and the motion is nowhere near as smooth, nomatter what quality settings I apply. Each frame (when paused) looks like two images in one (motion is described by the object being in two places on EVERY FRAME)..

My question is is there any way to overcome this? My ultimate goal is to have progressive video for viewing on PC.

If you have WMM, and a sample interlaced DV-AVI (not sure if you can get progressive DV AVI), try previewing in WMM, then encode with good quality settings and see the (ugly) difference in WMP. The problem isn't my computer as it is powerful enough for Hi-Def playback.

Joshua Provost December 2nd, 2005 09:10 AM

Justin,

It sounds like WMV is doing a "blend" deinterlace. Perhaps WMM is just throwing away one field to deinterlace. You lose resolution that way. There are obviously trade-offs to be made. Perhaps WMV has an option somewhere to do a different type of interlacing.

Search here for VirtualDub, AVISynth, and deinterlacing. Those are free tools that provide a number of options for deinterlacing. Maybe you'll find one you like?

Josh

Justin Wilkins December 5th, 2005 12:33 AM

Thanks Joshua, will give it a try andlet you know how it goes. Never knew capturing video would be such a task :).