Why is picking a new camera so hard?! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 13th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
The obsolete/investment argument is silly, in 5 years the difference in what a used XL2 is worth and what a used FX1 is worth will be marginal.
Perhaps, but the difference is that in five years people will still be using FX1s to make HD videos, while the XL2 will be essentially a museum piece. Plus he could buy an HDV camera and just run it in DV mode for now, which wouldn't require any additional investment in post-production gear or change in workflow.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:26 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek West
While I like the XL2, the DVX is like the X-Girlfriend that you always wonder what would have happened if you had married.

HA ha ha ha
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:57 AM   #33
Regular Crew

well...the Lady at dell is calling me at 7pm on Friday. So i have 64 hours 3 minutes 44 seconds left to make up my mind on if i get the XL2 or the DVX...Any more last minute convincing anyone wants to partake in?
Old December 14th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Just to sum up what I've said before, if you get the FX1 you'll have more options in the future when people starting asking for HD video; the other two cameras won't help you once that happens. And if production issues are a concern for now, simply shoot in DV mode and your production process remains the same. So the FX1 is the only camera in your price range which meets your current needs and ensures you won't have to buy another camera sometime in the next few years -- possibly sooner rather than later. Understood that you're not sure if you'll like the look the FX1 produces, but all of my customers who have seen HDV footage thinks it looks great. You'd probably be happy with either of the other two cameras, but they will become obsolete faster.
Old December 14th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Honestly. i dont really think there gonna just become obsolete one day. I don't see how that will/can happen. Maybe im just not seeing something, but i dunno.
Old December 14th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #36
Regular Crew

another thing...Today, i went to best buy since thats the only place that has one of the camera's and i just messed with the Xl-2 for like 10 minutes, and i don't know if it was cause of the viewfinder size, but it looks like the picture was Super fine. Almost broadcast quality looking if that makes sense. I had the camera in 1/48, 24P, 16x9, Cine Gamma, and adjusted the Black strech and everything to what i liked in the store, but its wierd, cause it resembles film but it was really fine. so i guess that's almost a hypicritical statement. Is the DVX Like that?
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:27 AM   #37
Trustee

The DVX is not as sharp as the XL2, especially in 16:9 mode. It WILL be sharper than the GL2 and probably good enough for anything you do. If you DID decide to go with an HD camera dont go with the Sony, they are 1st gen HDV cams and the film look from them is not very good at all. SD is the way to go for now, dont let people scare you away from it, you have nothing to lose. If you spend $3800 on an XL2 and decide to upgrade in a year you probably will lose $800 - $1000 when you resell it. By that time, the price of the HD and HDV cams will have dropped by that much so it is all a complete wash.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Well, im almost positive im gonna go with the XL2. Should be ordering either tomorrow or friday. Wish me luck haha
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:15 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Palumbo
Honestly. i dont really think there gonna just become obsolete one day. I don't see how that will/can happen. Maybe im just not seeing something, but i dunno.
At some point most professional videographers may simply be expected to shoot high-definition video, and if/when that happens all SD cameras will be effectively obsolete for our purposes. If you buy any SD camera now, you should do so with an expecation that you'll probably want to upgrade again to HD(V) within the next few years.
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:21 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Well, i mean i had the GL-2 for 2 years before i sold it. So im not expecting on keeping this camera for like more then 3-4 years. You have to update your equipment to stay with everything. Just think in 3-4 years, it's gonna be different, No matter if all cameras are using P2 cards to something random like Apple wont support a camera. I mean you never really know. If future re-selling wasn't an option, then i'd most likely be getting the DVX-100a, but that will have even lower resale then the DVX100B, so thats why I just bit my tounge and said, i'll get the newer DVX100B, Then after considering the price difference, i started looking at the XL2. I Guess we'll just have to see what happens in the next few years...
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Again... it is not just an issue of camera or format, it is an issue of WORKFLOW. Look at Guiseppe's stuff, lots and lots of great post work. Doing that in HD or HDV will require a significant hardware upgrade. The obsolete/investment argument is silly, in 5 years the difference in what a used XL2 is worth and what a used FX1 is worth will be marginal. Cameras are not investments, they are tools that depreciate.
that is a great post! maybe the main reason for being an early adaptor is for future-proofing the footage that you'll be shooting today... just be aware that some tv networks do not currently accept formats like hdv, so do your homework first.

how about buying a clean used camera? there are some good deals to be had this time of year, people are hurting because of all the xmas spending.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #42
Major Player

Do you think you could swing $5500? The HVX200 can be had for that price, and you can shoot on MiniDV tapes in SD anything the DVX100 can, but in native 16X9, and a longer telephoto and slightly wider wide-angle, plus the ability to shoot in HD by plugging in a laptop or getting a $650 4GB P2 card.

The DVX is great. I have one. And the XL2 is also great. But the HVX gives you pretty much everything those two offer, plus newer technology, and the option of going HD in the future, for realtively cheap.
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
just be aware that some tv networks do not currently accept formats like hdv, so do your homework first.
Ah, but the BBC has said they'll accept widescreen DV footage from the Sony HDV cameras, and you could convert HDV output to something like HDCAM for networks that would sneer at an HDV tape. (An old trick used for converting lowly DV footage to something networks will accept.)

And yes, one of the reasons to buy an HD(V) camera now is so you can start building up a portfolio of HD footage to show when HD becomes more commonplace.
Old December 15th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #44
Regular Crew

If i had 5500 I wouldve most likely went with the HVX, But i dont come around that much money. Good news though, After a very long morning and lots of problems including limits on multiple credit cards and what not. (Not BH's Fault)I ordered My XL-2 From BHPhoto. Haha, I'm the only person who would pass free shipping and pay 65 Dollars for overnight shipping, Cant wait. Honestly, I really wish i could've ordered from EVS, Randy and Ramsey(i think its spelled) were two of the nicest people i've ever delt with on the phone. But i was a little limited on money, ehh... I also got an extra BP-945 Battery and bought a Hard Case on ebay for 200 Shipped. You guy's will def. see something very soon cause ive got the tapes at hand and cant wait. Thanks everyone for the responses and your ideas on what i should do. I mainly Picked the xl-2 cause having a camera with so many options will only make me wanna work harder to learn new things and add to everything, And the Native 16x9 Widescreen Feature. I'll tell you all what i think when you see the next post in the "DV For the Masses" section. Thanks again :)
Old December 15th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #45

Good decision... Congrats!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion