Question Regarding Graphics Card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 18th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #1
New Boot

Question Regarding Graphics Card

Hello; I am very new to this site and I am very interesting in capturing video and doing post production. I have no experience nor equipment but I think that this is the career for me. But any way I will be purchasing my equipment in the next few months but I want to know how important is a Graphics Card in doing video editing. I'm on a budget but I don't want to start off with very cheap equipment so I was going to get a MAC G5 Quad but the difference in price between 1 with the Quadro FX 4500 and the one without which is the GEforce i forget what verison is 1800.00. Is it really worth the additional price to go with the better graphics card or can i get by with the lower end one once I get my money up. If it is any help I was going to with the Sony Z1U HD camcorder ( I found one brand new for 2500.00) and Final Cut Studio
and the latest ver of procoder and i will use 2 17'' flat screens as a screen display. Any help would be greatly appreciated along with any advice on how to learn how to shoot,edit,ect. I'm as raw as can be but very eager and willing to learn. I am also interested in using this equipment to become a wedding videographer
Edward Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #2
Wrangler

I don't think the graphics card itself will make much difference on the G5 when using Final Cut Pro. However if you plan to use Apple Motion then graphics card performance is very important.

Also realize that the RAM on the graphics card will be split between both monitors if you have two. So in other words, a card with 128MB of RAM will allocate 64MB to each screen. Again, this won't be a big deal in FCP but it would matter for Motion.

OTOH, if you plan to keep this machine for a few years then it is never a bad idea to get the best you can afford...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for that information. I might just buy the graphics card later, then again i don't know. I have to see what i can do with motion
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:28 PM   #4
Wrangler

FWIW, I have a dual 2.5ghz G5 with the Radeon 9600 XT card with 128MB VRAM. Sometimes I use this card with 2 monitors. No problems whatsoever in FCP. I used Motion a lot for a standard definition PAL project last summer and didn't have any complaints. When using 2 monitors I think performance was a little worse, but still acceptable for me.

This was version 1 of Motion however, not sure what may have changed in the current version. If you read the Motion forum on Apple's website you'll find lots of discussion on this topic. Others report that faster cards with more RAM make Motion more responsive, especially with complex projects. You'll find the Apple Motion support forum here: http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=656

Good luck with the new machine, let us know how it works out!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Boyd I went to the apple site and it gave all the information that i needed. Thanks again for all your help. As someone who is planning on going into videography or anything that has to do with filmmaking this is the best site a person could find. Other sites are really waterdown and don't really provide clear and concise information
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Edward, we try to stay focused and on-topic around here. Much appreciated,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion