Using 'Panning Still Shots' in Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 19th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using 'Panning Still Shots' in Video

I've just watched a documentary on Kinsey on BBC4 here in the UK. Time after time they have old photos, and gently pan across the photograph. I understand this is commonly used, but we're about to shoot our first documentary and would like to use this. I'm wondering if this is possible using software? Is there a function within say Avid Xpress or MediaStudio where one can zoom in (or out within reason), and pan across stills?
Tony Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #2
Major Player

I think it's pretty easy, you just need a large resolution photo. For example in Premiere Pro you would use the position animation under Effects to do the panning and adding Scale (zoom) change would result in quite interesting looks. I have no experience with Avid, but I'm sure it can be done there without problems.
Georg Liigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 06:44 PM   #3
Major Player

It's known as the 'Ken Burns' effect. It saved my hide with the last doco I did.

Anyway, yes, Avid will do it - use the Pan & Zoom effect. It's a little tricky to get used to compared to other NLE's such as vegas, but it works none the less.
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Very easy to do in Mediastudio as well.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Fantastic! Thanks for the feedback.
Tony Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #6
New Boot

Iv'e put still images in some video productions using Adobe Premiere 6.0. Like most things, it's easy to do one you learn how to do it.
John Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Purely mechanical

I haven't done this, but I have read about it. Someone posted a design for a dolly that was actually pulled across a large-scale print. It used synthetic skate wheels. More than that, I can't help.
Roy Sallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 11:43 PM   #8
New Boot

This is also very easy to do in Vegas.

Just use the pan/crop function and move about the image as you wish - paying close attention to the keyframes.

Randy
Randy Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 01:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Easy to do in Studio 10, a consumer based editor

Pinnacle Studio 10 lets you do this very easily, even though this is probably considered a "consumer" editor.

Great thing about it is you don't necessarily have to size your photo to put them on you time line. The program, no matter what the digital size of the photo, will crop the photo on the 4:3 or 16:9 window without distortion. You can then access a zoom and pan feature, achieving the result you desire.

Chris Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 02:59 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Sallows
I haven't done this, but I have read about it. Someone posted a design for a dolly that was actually pulled across a large-scale print. It used synthetic skate wheels. More than that, I can't help.
That is utterly insane. As stated elsewhere, snap or scan a high-res of the photo in question or interogation and apply a motion filter. Next, look at the "3-d" separations done with AE that we see umpteen times on such rot as we find on the Histerical Channel, et al. More gobbledygook, but swell!
Old December 26th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rogers
This is also very easy to do in Vegas.

Just use the pan/crop function and move about the image as you wish - paying close attention to the keyframes.

Randy
With Adobe Premiere 6.0 I have found that it's best to crop and size the picture so the original is not too big and so the ratios are correct. It's a bit labor intensive, but I get better results that way.
John Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Sorry, Doug...

Didn't mean to step on any particular toes. Just adding a non-technical hint that I can't find again. The camera was mounted on a skateboard, which was then slowly trucked past the photo on the wall. 'S all I know, and no offence intended.
Roy Sallows is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion