Another Audio Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:14 PM   #1
New Boot

Another Audio Question

I was thinking about down the line getting some home recording studio equipment. I was thinking about getting a Korg Trition (Keyboard), Protools Software and MPC 2500( beat machine). Now I know that the korg (keyboard) and MPC 2500 (beat machine) are input devices and are not relavant however will the Protools software help a lot in regards to me improving the sound that i will be recording from sony Z1U camcorder with maybe a mini voice recorder and some wireless mics once I get it back to the studio. I will editing with FCP studio with Quad Mac G5
Edward Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

ProTools is the "standard" audio engineer's tool. It is very capable in the hands of someone who understands audio. If that sounds overkill to you, consider the most frequently used and helpful tool for processing Sony audio and wireless (depending on how much you spend) will be noise filtering software. Bias' Sound Soap is an option there. If you need multitrack editing beyond what FCP does, then ProTools and Peak are other options.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 02:48 AM   #3

If you are on PC just cut to the chase and get Sony Vegas.. Its audio processing is fantastic..

Pro Tools on a budget level isnt anything special.. People think buying an M Audio box and getting Pro Tools LE means they are in the same category but its not.

The reason Pro Tools got a good reputation was during the mid to late 90s computers couldnt run up enough FX natively on CPUs and Pro Tools was all DSP driven so it meant you could run up FX and completely mix within the computer.. For the years between 95-2001 it was the only way to mix without worrying about CPU power..

Of course CPU power now isnt really an issue to the same degree as it was, so the way i see it the benefit of Pro Tools DSP has been deflated.. But its earnt a good rep in that time between 95/01 and thats still there..

Nowdays with the cheap consumer versions you get people drawn into thinking its somehow a better option than other soundcards and programs.. Those cheap versions arent what gave it the reputation, and they really arent anything special.. Of course try telling someone without much experience that and it usually falls on deaf ears because "Vegas" isnt a buzz word and "Pro Tools" is.. But its inferior IMO..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion