What Did Santa Bring You? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 26th, 2002, 11:49 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

What Did Santa Bring You?

OK, the eggnog is but a disgusting crust on the sides of the bowl. Only the shards of wrapping paper and stray empty boxes stand in testament to the recent consumption carnival. So as the Christmas dust clears what did Santa put in your video stocking this year?

For me, it was the 16x Manual Servo lens for my XL1s. It's really a nice goody.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2002, 12:39 AM   #2
Wrangler

Under the tree I found a new WGP Orracle paintball gun and a MS wireless keyboard and mouse set. Nothing in the video department though, although I did ask for a Cavision Matte box as an alternate gift if Santa din't have the bling bling for the paintball gun.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2002, 12:46 AM   #3

Don't forget to use your -- ahem -- protection the next time you use that new gun. (I remember your painful story.)

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old December 27th, 2002, 12:48 AM   #4
Major Player

I got the book "Digital Filmmaking Handbook" by Ben Long and Sonja Schenk,,,,and some other non video stuff.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2002, 01:07 AM   #5
Major Player

I just got drunk.

No pressies for me.
But for chanukah i got some new software for the comp.

Still Jewish.
zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2002, 09:23 AM   #6
Wrangler

Well nothing video, but I got a top-of-the-line recumbent bike from Cannondale. It was a complete surprise (at $2K).

I cannot not tell you what I ate Christmas Day.

Hey Kermie, Happy Chanukah...

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2002, 07:11 PM   #7

From me too, Kermie...happy Chanukah!

From one non-practicer to another-
Old December 28th, 2002, 04:11 PM   #8
Major Player

I got a new tripod from my brother...but, it's one of those cheap ones you find in any store.

I hate being in this situation. I'm trying to get an order through for a Miller tripod and will not put the well-being of my XL on this thing, regardless of what the store said. The mounting plate is about 3"x2", and plastic. Aside from the aluminum legs, everything is plastic. My brother meant well, he knows nothing about video so I'm not annoyed, I just can't use it.

Aside form that, I got a fully adjustable TuffStuff weight bench, candy, and a sweater.
Old December 28th, 2002, 07:42 PM   #9
Major Player

>>For me, it was the 16x Manual Servo lens for my XL1s. It's really a nice goody.<<

My guess is that the Santa looked remarkably like you, Ken!

How do you like the lens? Is this the one that, other than focus, can be controlled by the XL-1?

I've been intending to rent one from Glazers here in Seattle just to try it out.

BTW, I'm still awaiting the Jaguar delivery from MacMall.....

Happy holidays---

Vic
Old December 28th, 2002, 07:53 PM   #10
Outer Circle

My wife bought me 2 pairs of socks, and then broke my right pinky on Boxing Day.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2002, 09:00 PM   #11

Vic,
The 16x lens is excellent. Yes, its zoom can be either servo-driven or manual. The only odd aspect to the lens is that the iris is run from the iris wheel on the camera, rather than from a barrel wheel (like the 14x), but it's not really an incovenience after you get accustomed to it. The lens also features 2 ND filters (1/6 and 1/32) which will be handy for outdoor shooting.

You'll also note that this lens is heavier than the 16x auto lens. The weight seems to be mainly in the servo housing, although it's difficult to pinpoint.

Since it has no image stabilizer I'll mainly be using it on mounted shots.

I think you'll find it interesting if you get a chance to try it out. It's certainly not the only lens you'll ever need but will be a handy addition to the tool kit.

Old December 29th, 2002, 01:05 AM   #12
Trustee

Nice score Ken.

Well I got a really great present, removal of all 4 wisdom teeth a week before christmas that got infected and I was in agony most of the day :)

Regardless I got two books from me wifey

"The Great Acting Teachers and Their methods" (I'm an actor BTW)

and

"Feature Filmmaking as used car prices"

So I've got some good chrissie reading.....
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 06:58 AM   #13

Aaron,

I know what you're going through. I had the exact same thing happen once...all four got infected. They gave me some powerful painkillers that pretty much erased a week from my memory. I remember receiving a wristwatch in the mail the following week after I'd recuperated and finished off the painkillers...supposedly I'd ordered it from the Home Shopping Network and didn't even remember doing it.

So, before you pop another pill...hide your credit cards! Otherwise you might wind up with more DV stuff from after Christmas sales than you'd planned.
Old December 29th, 2002, 12:15 PM   #14
Major Player

Hmmmm....pain killers........

I need to commit that ploy to my memory banks.....sounds like a sure-fire excuse to use when, upon arrival of the latest package from B&H or wherever, the "war department" says, "OK--What did you order this time....?" I can plead ignorance.

Cheers
Old December 29th, 2002, 06:40 PM   #15
Wrangler

Hi Ken,

Glad you asked. Santa brought me a Gossen Luna Pro S light meter. Now I'm wondering what to do since I'm not exactly "there" in my knowledge or experience yet. My mind is already reeling over terms like "reflective" and "incidental" light; I tend to want to trust my eyes and monitor.

I was told that we could use it to (a) light a green screen more evenly (b) light our subject the same as the green screen (c) help with multiple-location shoots.

Sounds okay to me, and I'm willing to learn how to use the thing, but do you know if a photographic meter (specifically, this one) works for video? I've read a few things on other threads that make me suspect this one won't do, but would appreciate a simple answer while I can still get a refund. BTW, the supplemental manual says that it used to have a cine scale, but it was removed 'cause nobody used it. Sounds like I just answered my own question, but what about the uses I mentioned above?

Oh, and, congratulations on your new lens!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion