Power Supplies for JVC GY500DV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 24th, 2005, 09:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Power Supplies for JVC GY500DV

OK, first of all, Merry Christmas, and I hope nobody reads this for at least a couple days! Spend time with your families! When you do read this, I need help. I am technically challenged, and it shows. I potentially have access to a JVC GY500DV camera in excellent condition... but without a power supply. JVC wants an ungodly amount of money for a replacement. My questions are these - if I can get a 12.5V 3.5A power supply (with an appropriate connector) elsewhere, can I use it? What are the limits of powering the camera? Can I go with 15V & 5A, or will that fry something valuable? I have one opinion that I can go as high as 17V, since the camera has a built-in limiter that will not permit a too-high voltage to pass, but I am not sure if the guy I talked to is credible. I could really use the camera, and the price is right, since, without a power supply, it is effectively useless to the fellow that owns it.
Roy Sallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Are you able to test the camera before you buy? If it is working fine ,you could investigate a system like Anton bauer.The camera will typically want a stable voltage and would need a supply that has been regulated prior to going into the camera (you dont want the voltage going up and down)The power supply also needs to output enough amperage as the camera draws about 20watts ,you should use a 3amp 12vdc supply as this will give you a buffer.The dv500 may have an onboard regulator as the JVC specs indicate an input range from 10.5vdc to 17 vdc.You can see the specifications here
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/s...&feature_id=03
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Jack...

The camera was working perfectly the last time it was used. The batteries that came with it unfortunately require the JVC power supply to take a charge, and so, the camera sits idle, and I can't test it. But I can get the camera for nothing if I finagle hard. (The owner is already leaning toward letting me have it, at least for a while.) So a regulated power supply of between 10.5 and 17 volts, with 3-3.5 amps, would do it? I don't want to destroy the camera. Then I would probably have to pay for it, and I don't want to do that! The less money I spend on things, the more money I have to spend on other things. The Anton Bauer idea is good, but also, pricey. I am shoestringing production, assuming I actually get into production, and so all things interior will be the rule until I can beg, borrow or steal... well, not steal... location-friendly power. And, finally, thanks for the link. It helps a lot. Have a fine, prosperous New Year, and everyone else here on the board, too.
Roy Sallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #4
Major Player

DC Power supplies...another way (maybe better...)

I hated buying regulated power supplies for outrageous sums, though did it for lack of a better option for a good while.

One day, I was in an electronic supply store and saw a Korean-made (Hayonik), 0-15VDC, 10 amp, regulated-filtered-adjustable-fused-fan-cooled-LCD output digital DC power supply for "testing" and bench repair purposes! It is powerful enough and easily "clean" enough to use with multiple cameras, including old JVC DV500 and Pan. DVCPRO cameras and any new HD cams. I made some plugins to use it temporarily with the plain old + - outputs on the front, but am finishing making regular 4-pin XLR-type power plug-ins (very easy) in a small box I am riveting on the top. I will remove the regular outputs from the front then.

It is at least 1/4 the price of so-called "professonal DC camera supplies" and is at least as good and much more powerful for the money. These cameras.......all of them, consumer or pro......are made for handling multiple DC voltage input and this type of power supply is more than adequate for them!

If you're using it for just one camera, you can even use it for "on camera lights", as long as they don't exceed the rated output. Surely you have a friend that could set this up for you? You can buy the 4-pin female/male XLR power plugs either online or at any good electronics store (maybe even at some Radio Shack?)

Save your bucks for good stuff!
Stephen Armour is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion