video cover designers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 31st, 2005, 03:43 AM   #1
Major Player

video cover designers?

If I wanted to get a cover designed for a DVD case and DVD, is there a service that does it? I know discmakers has templates for DIY, but I don't know much about all that CMGY colors or whatever it's called. I don't need it done now. I'm just looking for reference for the future and my photoshop skills are weak.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 07:37 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

You could always place an ad at places like Mandy.com, or... maybe even here, in the helping hands thread? Somebody is likely to be more than happy to offer their service. I have a Graphics degree... and plenty of free time, which I currently use for getting into trouble :)
Old December 31st, 2005, 09:56 AM   #3
New Boot

I use National Media Services, http://www.natlcass.com.

I've used them for several years. They have been good for large orders and also very helpful when I only need a few DVDs or CDs. They do graphics work such as cover design, imprinting the disk, package design, and duplication.
John Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 10:18 AM   #4
Inner Circle

John,
Interesting link. I can't seem to find if they offer REPLICATION as opposed to DUPLICATION. Do you know if they do?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 04:42 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
John,
Interesting link. I can't seem to find if they offer REPLICATION as opposed to DUPLICATION. Do you know if they do?
I don't know. The two words sound like the same thing to me. I don't know the difference. But if you contacted them they could tell you (I'm assumping the diffence is a well know concept in that business).
Old December 31st, 2005, 04:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Replication is accomplished with a glass master, and the discs are pressed. This is how commercial DVD's are made. Duplication is accomplished by 'burning' DVD's just as you do with your computer, albeit on a larger scale.

Replicated DVD's are compatible with virtually all DVD players, (provided the region code is correct, or it is region free) DVD-R and DVD+R will have some compatiblity issues with some players.
Old December 31st, 2005, 07:37 PM   #7
New Boot

I don't know the answer. But I've had them make lots of DVDs for me and I've never heard any complaints from anybody about playing them on their DVD players.
Old December 31st, 2005, 08:15 PM   #8
Major Player

I've got a FANTASTIC artist that I use anytime I need graphic design done. He does pretty much all of my cover art and many times does CG stuff for videos as well.

He really is about this best I've seen and is very affordable. I'd be happy to provide his name to anyone interested.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 08:48 PM   #9
Major Player

BTW, Discmakers has a graphic design department....
Old December 31st, 2005, 09:19 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
Replicated DVD's are compatible with virtually all DVD players, (provided the region code is correct, or it is region free) DVD-R and DVD+R will have some compatiblity issues with some players.

Actually, That is not entirely true. Compatibility depends on the compression technique used. A lot of your DVD's now are Dual Layer due to higher definition and bonus features and just length of some of these movies nowadays. If proper compression techniques are not used, then many models of players will skip when transferring from one layer to the other. However, any good replicating company has software that can analyze your master and tell you if your compression will work.

BTW, we used Tammy Luker at
http://impressionsphotos.com/
to do our last project. GREAT to work with

Bryon <><
Bryon Akerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 11:15 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Actually Byron, that's not entirely true either. Compatibility depends on a number of factors, compression - yes, but media quality is also a factor. I've burned the same material on different media, and had compatibility issues on different players. Scan the forum for advice on compatibility, and aside from changing compressions settings, switching media is the next best chance at overcoming compatibility issues. Some wedding videographers will even give out NEW players (which, after all can be had for fifty dollars) with their discs to ensure the bride will be able to play them.

DVD-R and DVD+R will play on most players, certainly. But not as high a compatiblity rate as replicated discs.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 11:56 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon Akerman
Actually, That is not entirely true. Compatibility depends on the compression technique used. A lot of your DVD's now are Dual Layer due to higher definition and bonus features and just length of some of these movies nowadays. If proper compression techniques are not used, then many models of players will skip when transferring from one layer to the other. However, any good replicating company has software that can analyze your master and tell you if your compression will work.
As Richard pointed out... Dye reflectivity and even the booktype may not be recognized by a player when they are duplicated. Even the dye color can matter (part of reflectivity) for some players. I have come to dislike Daewoo players just for these reasons. I found one that would not play a bit-set DVD+R to DVD-ROM at 6000kbps CBR (after trying 6000-8500 VBR DVD-R, and DVD+R). Fortunately, that customer wanted a DVD Recorder at $200. I gave him directions to Fry's Electronics... ;)

Edit - sorry for the off topic post.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:40 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Not really off topic George. The point being that there are a number of factors that make DUPLICATED discs fail to play on some players, while REPLCIATED discs (using a glass master to physically 'press' the disc copies) is virtually faultless. (Please note VIRTUALLY). That's why your mass produced rental movies are replicated... for maximum playability.

It's always a tough call to decide what route to take when self distributing. Sites like Indieflix will duplicate on demand for you... keeping up front costs low. This is a good way to go, if you just don't know what the demand will be, or anticipate a low demand.

I rolled the dice on my documentary "American Jouster" and had 1,000 discs replicated. Got a great deal from Pacific Discs for the whole package, full color discs and covers, barcode and shrinkwrap. They offered cover design as well, but I had someone else do a GREAT job on the cover design.

I got distribution through an international catalogue and retail house, that sells arms and armor all over the world.

I've already sold enough to completely recoup the replication costs, which made the decision to pay upfront the right one. Now I am into recouping production costs, which I expect to happen in a few months.

My experience being - A GREAT cover design is a huge plus for your product. The disc replicators all offer this service, or you can shop around (Craigslist) for a graphic designer. Decide if your disc will sell well enough to cover replication costs, as opposed to duplication costs. At some point, it DOES become cheaper to replicate, which will ensure more playability and if it's 'region free' it will also play on a lot of overseas players.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 01:44 PM   #14
Regular Crew

How do you produce a glass master?
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:28 PM   #15
Capt. Quirk

You don't, without lots of money for the machines. I believe the make a stamp and press it. Not 100% here though...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion