Misc. Open DV from 2006 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 26th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #91
Regular Crew

dv expo east 2006

It looks like there is no DV Expo East planed for 2006, while there was NAB 06 and Expo West is also scheduled in November, in L.A.
Does anybody have information if DV Expo East is going to happen at all this year?
Victor Burdiladze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #92
Tourist

Need advice on editing software

Hi all. As this is my first post, a small intorduction. Living in the UK, I'm a keen(ish) amateur whose done all the normal home movie, holiday movie stuff. I currently use a sony DCR-HC90E which is a little basic, but it does what I need it to do for the moment. Hopefully in the future with a little more time (and cash !!!), I'll be looking to upgrade at some point.

My issue at the moment is editing software. Up until now I've used Pinnacle 7, then 8 and now 9. However I'm desperately looking for something else as I'm utterly fed up with this package which is just too flaky and forever crashing or needing to be uninstalled and reinstalled due to the latest incomptibility it's decided to find.

I've been looking around and there seems to be little or no consensus on the web as to what is the best package to go for; Adobe Premier Pro seems to be popular, but is it really worth 3 or 4 times the price of other packages. Ulead also seems popular, but some give it good reveiws while others don't, so I just wonder whether the good reviews were "paid" for. This seems to be true also for the competitors.

Also there seems to be a big gap between the entry level packages, where competition is obviously keen, and the more advanced options like Premier. Is there anything in between that could be recommended, or is it once again a case of getting what you pay for.

I'm not looking to start creating blockbusters, but if I do upgrade my camera in the future then I don't want to then have the double expense of buying more software as well. So what I'm after is a good intuitive product that I can learn on now, but which will provide me with all the functionality I will realistically need for the future.

I'll be really grateful for any advice, recommendations.
Thanks,
Malcolm
Malcolm Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #93
Major Player

How can I network 2 workstations together for video editing/ not online?

I want to be able to Network together 2 workstations that arent conected to the internet, so I can share files back and forth. And do this as fast as possible.

These two computers are used for video editing. Most of the time they are not connected to the internet in order to save recources and also so I can edit without having a firewall or antivirus running at the same time. That way I know Im always safe from the risk of a virus ruining a clients project.
So the Ethernet jacks are available. Also I have heard of USB 2 cable conecting the 2 together. - Which is best, faster?

My hope is to be able to have a project and be editing differnt parts of it on 2 machines, and then render the entire thing out on one machine. I know this is possible but dont know what I need or how to do it. Specs follow. thanks.

---------------------------------------------
Workstation 1:
Tyan Thunder K8WE w/ dual Opteron 270s.
2 gigs of Corsar RAM.

Workstation 2:
ABIT IC7-G w/ Pentium 4, 3GHZ
2 gigs of Corsar RAM. Matrox RTX100.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 01:36 PM   #94
Trustee

New Yahoo web commercials for yahoo dragNdrop email - how do they do that?

There is a couple of new webcommercials with Yahoo DragNDrop Email, one in particular I like is the lady picks up a car and drops it in a parking space. The movement of the person looks real. I am just wondering if anyone knows how they did it?!?!
There is also one where a burgular is crushed by a giant elephant foot that is great looking as well...
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #95
Trustee

Greenscreening HD - any tips?

I have done some greenscreening on miniDV before - is there anything different I should be doing with HD for greenscreening? Anything to look out for?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #96
Regular Crew

French Flag Dilemma!

Hello Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right place to put this, but it does touch on a variety of different topics.

I recently purchased a used Formatt FM-500 mattebox off of Ebay (at a really cheap price!!). When I got the item, it was in great condition, and appeared just as described. But then the problem hit me- there was no french flag. Going back to the ebay listing, I discovered that the ad did not say anything about a french flag, so it's kinda my fault that it's not here. (The seller's rating was good, so they appeared to be good people-plus the box was listed as used).

So, I figured I'm going to need a french flag, so I started contacting those who might have them. First, I e-mailed B&H, and they told me that they did not have extras, and that I would have to get it as a service part from Formatt directly. I had already mailed Formatt asking them if they had extras I could buy from them. Their reply was that they only have one metal flag, but it will not fit on the plastic FM-500. So, I now have a Formatt mattebox with no flag.

Since it does not appear that I will be able to get the Formatt flag, are there any other flags which you know that I could use on this mattebox? I've looked at getting the type which has a clamp and a bendable arm, but I would prefer a flag which could directly attach properly to the mattebox (less light leakage). However, the Formatt box is quite wide, and the Chrosziel, Vocas (C.Optics), and other company's flags appear too slim to fully cover the top of the box.

Well, that's my problem. I know this is a really difficult situation, and I really appreciate any help. Until then, I will continue to look at other options. Thanks a lot,

Clint Grant
Clint Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #97
Contributor

O.T. info

Sorry if I'm OT

I need a info

in pal world I need to connect a dxc 327ap with a bvv5p I have found a ca-511 on ebay from US is the same for ntsc and pal ?
I need a ca-511P ???

thank you
Francesco
Francesco Marano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #98
Regular Crew

Head Cleaning issue/question

question:

I just bought a new sony pd 170 and want to use my old cheap JVC as the deck to transfer video to my computer.

I did a quick recording on dvcam in my sony and then put it in my JVC. When I play it back in my JVC the video is very choppy and the JVC is telling me Head Cleaning required--and still says so after 3 cleanings.

A. Is it ok to use the JVC as a deck with DVcam tape even though its a minidv camcorder?

B. Does the fact that it says head cleaning required mean that my DVcam tape im putting in it could get soiled?
Ryan Leiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #99
Regular Crew

in-line audio attenuators, how likely I'd need them?

As a videographer, I'm attempting to accumulate the best assortment of audio adapters, attenuators, etc. to have with me for various locations where I might want to hook into the house sound, a DJ's board, etc. I do a variety of projects, including but not limited to stage performances, weddings, convention center programs, etc.

Audio techie stuff is my weak area, combined with the fact that spec info is lacking in many of these equipment manuals - add to that the unknowns of what kind of audio equipment I might find at different locations. I want to have what I might need in my bag, but don't want to waste money on something that is never likely to be needed.

Typically I'd be plugging into one of my wireless transmitters (Sony UWP or Samson U1. The Samson transmitter has a balanced mic input and its receiver can be switced to -10, -20, -30. Apparently the Sony UWP transmitter's mic input is unbalanced, and does not have an attenuation switch.

So far I haven't learned about when to use the Z1's audio input Trim Levels available in the menu, so have left them at 0.

Occasionally might hook directly into my Z1U (mic/line switchable on the camera or vx1000 (which has a Beachtek audio adapter with xlr inputs, mic/line switchable),

I might explore what cable/adapters I need to hook into an iRiver MP3 player which can be set to mic or line input, though I'd prefer to leave it at mic input to avoid making last minute menu changes in it's quirky menu - maybe that arrangement would need an attenuator?

I have XLR, RCA, and 1/4" plugs which I know will always come in handy. But I'm not sure if it's overkill to also get a barrel line lift, switchable attenuator -15. -20. -25 for lo Z mic inputs and another 50dB attenuator.

I'd appreciate input from anyone who has experience in these settings and hooking into house, or DJ sound, etc. What are you using most frequently? Suggestions for a good collection to keep in my bag?
Chris Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #100
Major Player

"Bubble camera model?

Hi
Does anyone know how "Bubble" was shot, I mean, with camera was used?
Thank you
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #101
New Boot

HDV capture for pc+ mac compatible

Hi all you smart knowledgeable people I wonder if anyone can help. I have collected 30 hours of HDV footage in Tibet and want to begin logging. It was shot on sony hdva1u. My edit system on PC is premiere pro I also capture using the DV raptor card. If I log footage on PC with this system. Will it be availabe to be read on MAC final cut pro. I will offline on PC myself and possibly have the edit done on MAC is this possible?????. Can I possibly capture on quicktime and bypass the raptor will this be readable on both systems
Thanks
Help
Chris Macneil
Chris Macneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #102
Major Player

AV output to RCA

I couldn't find a correct cable for AV output to RCA. Instead i found regular 3.5mm stereo plug to RCA. It worked fine for video EFV. Black(sometimes White) line to EFV. Red just not connected anywhere.
Any bad experiences? Smoke? Because AV has 4 connnectors but stereo plug only 3. So something is shortcutted. Maybe it's not issue at all because of high electrical resistance? What is AV's electrical resistance?
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #103
Major Player

Interesting Profile on Ed Burns

Here's an interesting profile on Ed Burns on the Apple Website (yes, it is also a promotion for Apple's products)

For those of you who don't know or remember, Ed Burns' first film, "The Brothers McMullen,” won the Sundance Grand Jury Prize in 1995.

http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/burns/
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #104
Wrangler

The DV Challenge #6 - like film school but free

DV Challenge #6 sign up thread is OPEN!
Put your camera where your mouth is. No, not literally. Or maybe. I haven't picked the theme yet. :)
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=71324
Old July 14th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #105
Regular Crew

SIGMA VT5 5X Teleconverter

I want to know some info about the quality of this lens. Anyone?

thanks
Federico Prieto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion