Misc. Open DV from 2006 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 19th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #121
Regular Crew

film-to-DV transfer

Hi

I'm trying to convert several reels of 8mm film to DV. I have an old projector (probably from the 60s, but it works), and I'm using a JVC GY-DV5000 to capture the video. I have the projector and camera set side-by-side, both focused on the same point on a screen mounted 12 feet away.

My problem is this: When I'm watching the video capture, the brightness dims approximately every 60 frames (two seconds on my timeline). It looks perfect for 30 frames, and then it fades out and fades back in. Does this problem relate to inconsistent frame rates or interlacing? Or is it a problem with my projector? I do have access to an HD110 if the problem is the former.

Any input is appreciated here. Thanks very much.
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #122
Major Player

AJ-HDX900 Glass options

I'm finally making the transition into HD with the HDX900, but have a few questions about glass. If you could only have one lens, what would be ideal (fast, wide-angle zoom?) for 2/3" HD glass? What would be the most affordable solution without compromising image quality? I have heard of people using SLR lenses and a GG converter as a cheaper alternative to expensive 2/3"HD glass. Basically any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

John DeLuca
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #123
Inner Circle

Dry storage tip

For those who are packing away equipment for long-term storage, or are concerned with buildup of moisture in closed containers (including underwater camera housings), here's something I use a lot: Drierite.

A pound is about $8 or so, depending on where you buy it from. Here in Hawaii I get it from Hawaii Chemical on King Street near Middle Street. I store photographic equipment in large steel ammo cans and put some of this in there with it. Haven't ever had a problem with mildew on any lenses in two decades. Surplus steel ammo cans are cheap and have sturdy rubber seals which are waterproof.

http://www.drierite.com/default.cfm

Look for the "indicating" Drierite that is blue when it's working and turns pink when it's exhausted. This stuff can be re-activated in an oven by heating it up for an hour at 210° C or 425° F. It's reusable. And because it has its own indicator, you'll know if it's still working with a quick visual inspection.

You'll need to put the Drierite into some sort of container as the bottle itself doesn't work as a dehumidifier. Not unless you take off the top.

I use old translucent Fuji Film containers. A 3/8" hole is punched in the top. #4 mesh Drierite is loaded into the container. I then put a small square of paper towel over the opening and snap the top back on.

The hole I punched in the top will let the moisture get absorbed past the paper towel. The paper towel is there just to keep any dust from the Drierite from escaping out of the film container.
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #124
Major Player

NLE company banners

You know those big banners that you often see hanging on the walls in edit suites with the name "Avid" or "Final Cut Pro" on them? I'm not sure if banner is the correct word, perhaps "wall hanging". In any case, does anyone know where one can get one? Preferably "Apple" or "Final Cut Pro," but "Avid" or "Sony" or "Canon" would suffice ...
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion