DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Misc. Open DV from 2006 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/57366-misc-open-dv-2006-a.html)

David Nelson January 3rd, 2006 03:27 PM

Misc. Open DV from 2006

Maybe I'm late on this one, and you all know this already, but I just stumbled upon their site and its online once again.

Well if my eyes arent deceiving me, the MagiqCam is BACK! They have 2 choices, both of which handle 1-5 lb cameras. It seems reasonably priced. I had considered the MagiqCam stabilizer prior to purchasing the one from Ash Greyson. They do look reputible, I'd sure like to try what they have to offer.

http://www.magiqcam.com/

Jeremy M West January 4th, 2006 08:19 AM

Timecode viewing on a PC?

Hey guys- Kind of in a jam here and I'm hoping you guys can help us out.

We have been ingesting DV25 material into a Final Cut suite and storing the quicktime clips on an XRAID. We have several producers who are using Windows machines and need to be able to view these clips but most importantly, they need to be able to view the timecode that is captured in the clip.

When we open these clips up in Quicktime Player on a PC, we cannot view the actual timecode. We can see the clip's run time from the first frame, but not the burned in time code from the original tape.

I figured out how to view the actual timecode by using Quicktime 6 Pro and going into the movie properties, however Quicktime 7 Pro will not display the timecode in the Movie properties window. All of our machines have Quicktime 7 installed on them.

So, is there another application for Windows that can display the actual timecode from these DV25 Quicktime files?

Thanks!
Jeremy

Armen Brus January 6th, 2006 04:19 AM

2CH Sequence CHarger

I have this 2CH sequence charger for v-mount sony compatable li_ion batteries, unfortunatly I lost the manual. I wonder if it is working ok.
Does sequance mean..it should charge 1 channel fully then start sharging the other?
Also on the unit says charging time 5 hours..is that for each battery??
I am using 130 Wh

Ronald Lee January 6th, 2006 06:50 PM

Places to buy DV equipment in Seattle?

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can make a list of places in Seattle where one can by DV equipment and supplies (with phone numbers?). I'm wnating to come by and try to find a Steadicam Merlin.

thanks!

Stephen Sobel January 7th, 2006 01:51 PM

Canopus ACEDVio card and Vegas

I just got a Canopus ACEDVio card to install in a computer I am building. I will be using Vegas for video editing. The Canopus card comes with ACEDV Controller software, which has optons for adjusting image and audio settings. Do I need this software, since I will be using Vegas?

One other question. The installation manual says not to use the 4-pin power connector if you are not using a bus-powered device with the card. I will only be using the card to connect camcorders which are powered by an adapter plugged into the wall socket. Given that, I assume I do not use the 4-pin connector. Is that right?

Jeff Ray January 8th, 2006 12:20 AM

Snorri Cam in Austin, TX

Hey guys,

I've got a music video/EPK shoot for this band in a couple weeks, and I'm interested in using a snorri cam for a few select shots. Anyone know where to rent one in Texas? Or is it possible to just build one?

Jason Gurwin January 8th, 2006 07:22 AM

Kilimanjaro Video Equipment

I am climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro over the summer, and definitely want to film my trek up.

I was considering building a helmet cam, or using just a small handheld dv cam.

My real question is, what camera would be the best (i would likely have 30-50 hours of footage)?

Also, the major problem is battery power. I can't carry around tons of batteries because of weight issues, but on the otherhand they will not hold a long charge in the extreme cold.

What is the best solution for that? (is there lightweight handcrank chargers I could use, or some sort of backpack generator?)

Thanks, any other suggestions of video equipment I should bring up would be appreciated.

Charles King January 8th, 2006 09:00 AM

Looking for a review for the new Archos 740

Like the subject title says; I'm especially interested in knowing if you have to convert a divx file that is already on your computer to the language of the Archos before it can play it back on the unit? Or is it just a matter of cutting a pasting the file from the computer to the Archos unit and just press play? I'm interested in this unit and this is the only question that is important as I do not want to have to convert the file in order to play it like I did with the archos 340 I had before. Then I might as well get a portable dvd player that can play the file directly.

I would appreciate any feedback and/or links to reviews. Thanks all.

Marco Leavitt January 10th, 2006 07:28 AM

Ultimate fisheye

Pretty cool, huh?

http://www.intersci.com/cview.html

Ed Wilson January 12th, 2006 01:31 PM

Questions about xl2 at -40 below

I'm new to the game and would like to ask some queations. Wondering about cold weather preformance (battery life,optics). Also wondering how much abuse these camera's can take. Planning on a lot of snowmachining , 4x4 atv, dog mushing and bush flights. Thanks

Alex Kessinger January 12th, 2006 02:27 PM

Auto Firewire capture and conversion

I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that could do that. I want to give it a time log of my shots and then it pulls the shots of the camera and then converts the video into a couple of formats.

It would be really cool it if could automatically upload to a website to. So does anyone know of anything?

Kim Cascone January 14th, 2006 12:21 AM

pocket dv camcorders

I am scouting around for a cheap pocket DV camcorder...the plan is to use the pocket DV cam to grab lo-fi footage for a project I'm working on...

there are many manufacturers of these pocket DV camcorders and they all have varying degrees of quality and features...so here are some q's:

- which make/model is the best quality (i.e., good battery life, decent memory capacity, useful menus, etc)
- I've heard SVP is bad quality but not sure about Aiptek, etc...

- any tips on recording camcorder files? lighting, interesting artifacts, etc?
- is there a brand that drops frames or only records clips (not based on memory capacity), etc?

- does anyone happen to know of any Pocket DV Camcorder Film Festivals? (I'm just curious to see if there is an aesthetic developing around this technology and if so what people are doing with it)

OK, thanks in advance!
Kim Cascone

Bill Rankin January 14th, 2006 08:14 PM

video clips

Does anyone know of any video clips sold on the internet, OTHER THAN Artbeats? Any Artbeats competitors?

Thanks.

Bryon Akerman January 17th, 2006 10:18 PM

New York International Film Competition

Hey All,

First let me say thanks to all of you guys who put your experience out there for us to learn from. After reading posts from some of you guys, I realize that I have a LOT to learn. So to Chris Hurd, Ash Greyson, Shannon Rawls, and everybody else. Thanks!

Now, the Oklahoma Heismen, the Documentary that my friend and I put together has been accepted to the NYIFC.

Now, Does anybody have some tips, pointers, or any other useful info? This is our first project and first film festival, so any pointers would be great.

I guess they have a couple of these around the country. The one we were invited to is the one in Los Angeles March 9-16.

Again, any suggestions for us would be great!!

Thanks,
Bryon <><

Nate Schmidt January 18th, 2006 04:48 PM

Some more online resources

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but check out www.dvknowledgebase.org/ if for some reason you need some more resources besides this sweet forum. :-)