Helmet/body/lipstick cam...any experience? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 8th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #1
Tourist

Helmet/body/lipstick cam...any experience?

Greetings All,
I've carved out a bit of a niche shooting bicycle videos. I am a road biker, and I go with people travelling on cycling adventure trips, and shoot vanity docs. I've got a good system in place (Canon Optura with a wide eye) but am looking to do some different angles with a lipstick cam.

Short question is...has anyone got any experience with these cameras? What's the best one to interface with a consumer DV cam? (size is important, that's why I'm using ultra consumer gear)

Anyone what has experience or ideas on how best to shoot this type of video - I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers,

don
Don Marcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

from the quality point of view, you can find bullet cams that give at least same result as an average DV, with the only disadvantage that you need to choose the lense (usually wide angle), because there is no zoom possible.
The biggest problem with bullet cam is not the cam, is the place where you fix it.
The picture will be most of time so shaky or subject badly framed that you will be able to use only few seconds of it.
Take for example all these reality or sport show with helmet cam.
You rarely see shots taken from these camera because they are not steady.

From the point of view of safety, it is sure that bullet cam are a lot better, when dust and water are part of the game.
Unfortunately, as you need to record usually from a DV cam with composite input, this mean that the camcorder will not be very far. So dust ,humidity and vibrations will still be a concern.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion