Some wide angle lens questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 8th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Some wide angle lens questions

Hey all,

I plan to purchase a wide angle lens for my sony mini dv camcorder. My filter diameter size is 30 mm. Can I buy step up rings to fit any size lens? I was wondering if I put one on, can i still use the zoom and get varying degrees of wide angles? If that's the case would it best to buy a fish eye type wide lens and then I could get from extreme wide angle to moderate using the zoom on my camcorder (which is 10x optical zoom), I have been recomend a couple of lens from the local camera store, what do you think I should go for? I'm kind of leaning towards the first one, because of the option of attaching to Nikon digital cameras, i wonder if it would only work on a nikon, because i plan on getting a canon slr type.

The model HD-3030PRO Semi-Fish Eye conversion lens is designed to broaden the angle of view, including 180% more area in the picture, when attached to the lens of Digital Video Camcorder or the Nikon CoolPix Digital Cameras with 28mm filter size
It's compatible with up to 6x zoom area and stays in focus
5-adapter rings are included for 27mm/28mm/30mm/30.5mm/ 37mm/43mm filter sized Camcorders
The HD-3030PRO has achieved an amazing high definition standard of 520 lines/mm resolution power at center(MTF30%) in the Semi-Fish Eye formula
Magnification : Nominal 0.3X
On the Digital camera : Actual 0.3X/Diagonal, 0.42X/Horizontal
On the camcorder : Actual 0.34X/Diagonal, 0.44X/Horizontal
Lens construction : 2G/2E Optical coated glass elements
Front filter size : None
Mounting threads : 37mm
Size/Weight : 70 x 45mm/143g

The model HD-5000PRO Super Wideangle conversion lens is designed to broaden the angle of view, including 100% more area in the picture, when attached to the lens of Digital Video Camcorder
Its compatible with whole zoom area and stays in focus
5-adapter rings are included for 27mm/ 30mm/30.5mm/ 37mm/ 43mm filter size Camcorders
The HD-5000PRO is made of the high-index optical glass elements with new concept of lens designing using three-group/four-element lens formula. This new concept in designing the lens made it possible to achieve an amazing high definition wideangle lens of the 600 lines/mm resolution power at center(MTF30%)
Magnification : Nominal 0.5X
Actual 0.5X/Diagonal,0.53X/Horizontal
Lens construction : 3G/4E Optical coated glass elements
Front filter size : 62mm
Mounting threads : 37mm
Size/Weight : 66 x 40mm/110g

The VCL-HA06 conversion lens from Sony helps you bring more information into focus for dramatic wide angle video footage
It features a three group, three element design that offers 0.6X total magnification for rich, detailed video with minimized distortion
The VCL-HA06 is designed to work with a variety of Handycam camcorders thanks to the includes 25mm, 30mm and 37mm lens adapter rings
A soft carrying pouch and two lens caps are included to help protect the lens fro dust and scratches while disconnected from your camcorder
High quality ABS plastic and glass construction
Built to be tough, yet very lightweight
Attractive graphite silver design
Diameter (approximate): 62mm
Length (approximate): 33mm
Weight (approximate): 100 g

The VCL-SW04 0.45X wide angle lens helps your camcorder pull even the biggest groups into the shot
0.45X wide angle lens for incredible group shots
Designed for all 37mm diameter lens camcorders
The two included adaptor rings allow it to work with 25mm and 30mm lens camcorders
Three element and three group lens design
Rugged aluminum and glass construction
Protect your lens with front and back lens caps and a carrying pouch
Colour: Silver
Diameter: 3 1/4"
Length: 1 15/16"
Screw Diameter: 37mm x 0.75mm
Weight: 9.7 oz

so I've got it down to two from raynox, and two from sony, what do you suggest?

Luke
Luke McMillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

nobody has any suggestions for the lens i should go for? I think I'm going to go for one of the high definition raynox lenses, but should i go for a the semi fish eye or standard wide angle? I just figured if i get the semi fish eye you can zoom in to get different perspectives? any suggestions?
Luke McMillian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion