Ever shoot while listening to music? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 4th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Ever shoot while listening to music?

Hi Everybody,
I was just wondering if anyone ever shot stuff while listening to music. Not necessarily a paid professional project, but like just for fun kinda. I know I have done it. It can really give your footage a certain edge. Especially if you are going to edit the footage to music. If you haven't, try it! It's fun! I may sound crazy to ya'll...

Best wishes!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #2
ChorizoSmells

When shooting fashion stuff at home I always put on iTunes and tune into whatever radio station the model wants to hear. Same thing with location stuff, there is always music playing, perferably the same type of music that will be used in the edit. The club events I shoot mostly have drum n' bass playing, I can't imagine shooting without music.

My friend and I are halfway through with our short film, we wanted the natural ambient sounds of his apartment so we've just been using a mike to capture him and the noise he makes, it seems so quiet filming like that, plus we aren't going to have any music in the film(15 min), we are hoping the no music approach will cause a lot of tension.
Old January 6th, 2003, 10:54 PM   #3
Major Player

the majority of my shooting is done inside studio settings...so during setups i always pipe in music...i always mute it during a take though, and as soon as the vtr stops, the music comes back on ;)

i like to have a loose atmosphere on set

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2003, 08:29 AM   #4
Major Player

* * OH YEAH * *

Scott,

I have done this, as an experiment, for a particular rhythm and pace for the piece. I carried it over to the editing process too, cranked it up.

Its a nice technique for the tool box.

Cheers!
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 09:19 AM   #5
Major Player

I love music.

I don't usually have music with me on shoots however, my head has it's own orchestra - I crank out whatever music I feel is required to help with the mood of the piece I'm shooting. Call it a state of mind.
Old January 8th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #6
Warden

When I'm in the studio doing product shots I have music on (iTunes playing on my Mac). I don't do model or fashion work, but when i did, I used music. If the client is present I generally don't have music on.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 06:11 PM   #7
doctorxex

when shooting weird experiments or stop motion stuff alone, playing the oddest music i can dig out of my collection often results in some interesting results. music definitely helps me concentrate and also keep moving forward with whatever i'm doing.
Old January 9th, 2003, 09:07 AM   #8
Major Player

To add to my previous post, I listen to music most of the time while editing or doing almost any other activity. In highschool, I found my best studying was done while listening to loud music. Go figure.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion