advice: combo mini dv/svhs deck at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 5th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #1
dave ratner

advice: combo mini dv/svhs deck

hi,
The jvc deck seems like it is a great product. Is there any
thing I am over looking?
I am a newbie just wanting to make good copies of my recordings and a little editing. I thought the playback feature of the dv deck would save my camera from lots of use as well as the ease of dubbing.
Any advice would be great.
Dave
Old January 5th, 2003, 10:42 AM   #2
Warden

Not all NLE software support capture from this model. Check with the software company to be sure it is compatable with the JVC deck. That aside, most users seem happy with it.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Lots of people have used that deck and like it. *Any* deck is preferable to using your camera for playback/capture. The camera mechanisms were not designed with lots of start-stop-rewind-starts in mind. They'll usually work, but why prematurely wear out an expensive camera when there are lots of decks that will do it better. Getting a decent deck is sound planning.
Old January 5th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #4
Major Player

How about these decks?

JVC's SR-VS30U?

Or

Panasonic's AG-DV1000?

The SR-VS30U not only seems to be IEEE 1394 compliant, a S-VHS tape can be produced.

The AG-DV1000 also seems like a good deck. But I would then need to purchase a second quality S-VHS recorder/player to make a better quality VHS tape.

Any comments on either of these two decks would be appreciated.

My computer system and video-related software:

Dell Precision Workstation 420
Pentium III 733
512 MB DDRAM
2 7200rpm hard drives
Window XP Pro
Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video 3

Ted
Old January 8th, 2003, 02:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

JVC Dual deck

I know a couple of people who have used that machine.....the early releases had firmware problems, just like the early DV 500 cameras, which JVC later corrected after many units were returned for service. I also know someone who has had IEEE1394 communications problems with that machine, as well as firewire dubbing problems.....I'd check it out very carefuly, and find more user group feedback before purchasing one. If you dont HAVE to have the SVHS features, look at a DSR-11....very reliable deck.
Old January 8th, 2003, 03:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Just a newbie shifting the thread in a different direction --

What exactly is meant by S-VHS? Is it just a VCR that has an s-video connection?
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #7
Warden

Hi Mark,

S-VHS is a higher resolution format that was developed in the mid '80's and was meant to replace VHS. Well, it was too expensive, both for the VCRs and the tapes. It caught on for the industrial and prosumer markets. Some smaller cable companies and small market TV stations adopted it for news and broadcast, replacing 3/4 inch. Use the search button in the upper right and you'll find more info on S-VHS. If you have additional questions please post back as a new topic or added on to an old topic. Don't worry about being a newbie. We all started there at one point or another.

Jeff
Old January 8th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Hey,
You can also look at WV-DR7 its a Sony model. abcdv.com had an article on their site until they revamped their site. You can goto www.planetjapan.org to see the product and read info about the item. They said it was the best and if nothing has changes im sure it still is.

Rob
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 06:02 PM   #9
Wrangler

JVC HR-DVS2

Last year I posted my review of the JVC HR-DVS2.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=1777

I haven't had any further problems with my deck, after those detailed in the review. So overall I'm quite happy with it and I think it's a good buy.

The DVS3 is out now. I don't know what changes/improvements have been made to the new deck.

With regards to SVHS

- SVHS tapes and VHS tapes look the same--same form factor.
- You can play an SVHS tape in a VHS deck (but the VHS deck won't read all of the resolution of the SVHS signal)
- You can play a VHS tape in an SVHS deck (but the SVHS deck won't magically improve the dynamic range of the VHS tape)
But here's the neat thing.
- If you record an VHS tape in an SVHS deck, it'll look a little better than a VHS tape recorded in a VHS deck.
So this is the reason why SVHS recorders are so desirable for high fidelity dubs from DV sources.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 11:34 PM   #10
Warden

Re: JVC HR-DVS2

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Knecht Schmidt : You can play an SVHS tape in a VHS deck (but the VHS deck won't read all of the resolution of the SVHS signal)
-->>>

A VHS deck with Quasi S-VHS playback will play back an S-VHS tape, but at VHS resolution. A VHS deck without Quasi S-VHS playback, cannot playback an S-VHS tape.

Jeff
Old January 9th, 2003, 12:19 AM   #11
Major Player

How is this for the "dream" pro-sumer mini dv/svhs combo?

If the quality of JVC's SR-VS30U dual Mini DV/SVHS combo deck is in question, how about the following combination of decks:

1) Panasonic's AG-DV1000 with it's interphase to and from the Canon GL2 and my computer set-up via the IEEE1394, and

2) Panasonic's AG-7350 for dubing an SVHS tape from the AG-DV1000?

Of course this will be a minor $$$ investment for me. Hopefully one that will pay-off in the long run.

Does this "combo" seem reasonable? Any other MiniDV/SVHS (seperate) combination decks worth looking into? How about the JVC SR-53645U as a SVHS deck?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Ted Fiebke, RN
Old January 9th, 2003, 12:56 AM   #12
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The AG-DV1000 is a fine deck and value if you anticipate only needing to use MiniDV-size tapes. I've had this deck for just over 2 years and have never had trouble with it.

As far as the SVHS side goes, I can't say. I can say that dubbing to the AG-DV1000 should be painless. Just set your input source and blast away.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 06:28 AM   #13
Warden

The Panasonic AG-7350 (and it's predecessor, the AG-7300) is real workhorse. The picture quality doesn't get any better unless you spend at least $1000 more. I used an AG-7300, 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 4 years before I had a service problem with it. They are very well built.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion