Helmet/bullet/hat cams-suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 24th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Helmet/bullet/hat cams-suggestions?

Looking to add a small bullet type cam to my business. I shoot outdoor videos, fishing/hunting/rafting/etc. Thought it would be great to have a camera attached to a helmet, a fly rod, rifle etc. Any suggestions? I've seen the Samsung sport camera but I have not read any reviews on it--

Rick
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Cool. I have been meaning to do a search on this subject, now I can just wait for the advice to roll in....
Old January 24th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Rick,

No actual experience to back this up but... I'd think twice about mounting a cam on a rifle (especially a pistol). The g forces they generate probably exceed what would be good for any cam.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have just bought one of these http://www.viosport.com/store/custom...e=ac3_overview

for skiing. Have not really tried out yet and am just figuring out how to carry in pack, etc. Off to Colorado to ski in Feb so want to make sure I know how to easily carry and use. I will use my TRV50 as recorder. Testing in doors look OK.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #5
Major Player

I use a bullet cam for hunting ,fishing and sporting video.I made a couple of mounts using mainly......well, velcro.For hunting and fishing I made a hat cam mount using velcro and elastic(seamstress) banding.
I found I needed a large battery pack to power it.Using an 8 cell AA caddy.
Also made up a waterresistant belt pack for the handicam.It needed a clear plastic window to let the remote work.
Need to mark the "up" side of the bullet cam so you can mount it quickly.Also getting use to controlling your head movement ,aka cam movement, takes a while ,so you need to practice this.
I agree with Rob that mounting to a firearm could be hazerdous to the cam.
The view from a hat will typically show the rifle anyway.
By the way you can mount this to a light weight pole and get some cool shots from above the boat.
Overall, they seem to add a nice perspective but certainly won't cover all situations.You still need your shoulder cam.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion