Converting DV to film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 8th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Converting DV to film

Can anyone tell me where to go to convert a short video to 35mm film so that it can be shown in a moviehouse? I'm a bit new so please bear with me. Is this going to be terribly expensive? Any tips for shooting with conversion in mind?
Becky McMillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 02:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

A good place to start is DVFilm.com read their explanation of process and procedures.

They are based in Austin, Tx.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 02:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

DV to Film

Video to Film transfers have traditionally used a machine/process called "flying spot telecine"...there are post houses in NY , LA and other large cities that offer this service; I have not had it done, but I dont expect it will be cheap.
Old January 8th, 2003, 06:13 PM   #4
Wrangler

Right. For a feature this costs on the order of tens of thousands of dollars.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 06:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by BillAngstrom : A good place to start is DVFilm.com read their explanation of process and procedures.

They are based in Austin, Tx. -->>>

Once again Bill, you've come to my rescue. Thanks so much! My client is a historic movie house, they're trying to raise money for renovations and want to show my video before movies. For a 5 minute piece the price is not that bad. Since I've already shot most of the video in natural/available lighting I'm wondering how dark scenes will translate to film. Have you ever done it?
Becky McMillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #6
Rextilleon

For a fairly good explanation of what is required to transfer DV to 35mm, check out www.swisseffects.com. They essentially have a suggestion list for prospective projects---Unfortunately you shot yours already and transfer is an afterthought---This could lead to some problems. Anyhow, hope this helps.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 09:41 AM   #7
Wrangler

For the price of a short video transfer to 35mm, the theater could buy a really nice video projector to show it with. And then, hey, free video projector! :)
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 03:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm not sure what my clients will decide to do. I don't know much about video projectors, that might be a better investment. I wish I had known beforehand that they wanted it converted to film. Most of my video was shot during events tho so I don't know that it would have made much difference. Lights aren't always an option for a 1-man (person) operation. Oh well, live and learn...
Becky McMillen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion