DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   DVCPRO HD vs. Sony HDCAM (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/60400-dvcpro-hd-vs-sony-hdcam.html)

Hamad Abdulla February 11th, 2006 03:00 AM

DVCPRO HD vs. Sony HDCAM

Hi there,

I was just wondering, if we wanted to shoot a feature film that was going to be showcased in various film festivals and we wanted the final out-put to be the closest to film as possible.

Which one do you prefer to be using as your main filming camera?

DVCPRO HD Panasonic AJ-HDX400 HD which is offered at a very good price or the Sony HDCAM 750??

Sony is much more expensive, but is there a reason for it being that expensive, will the Panasonic camera give me the same results??? Or by far the Sony HD 750 is a much better camera than the Panasoic HD???

Anybody worked with both cameras or has any clue about both???

Thanks

Don Donatello February 12th, 2006 10:44 AM

"we wanted the final out-put to be the closest to film as possible."

neither camera .. they are INTERLACE !!!

rent a progressive camera .. look around - you'll find a deal ...
IMO shoot interlace as lost resort ..

many festivals just want digibeta to screen ...

Mike Marriage February 12th, 2006 12:28 PM

The 750 will do 25p, at least in the UK. It is a really nice piece of kit. I think that the Pany will do progressive too but I don't believe either do 24p. I have no experience of a HDX400.

Hamad Abdulla February 12th, 2006 12:41 PM

Thanks a lot guys for your reply!

If progressive scan is the way to go, then which camera brand and model do you recommed to achieve a feature film that comes the closest to film???

Any recommendations?

Thanks again...

Shane Ross February 12th, 2006 02:26 PM

The Varicam shoots in Progressive mode. 720p24, 720p30, etc. It is a progressive frame. As does the HVX-200...but the Varicam has a better lens and CCDS.

But DVCPRO HD is a pretty highly compressed format. Not sure how much HDCAM is, but I am guessing it has better compression, since many places use it as a delivery format. DVCPRO HD is not accepted as a delivery format, acquistion only.

Guest February 12th, 2006 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Donatello
"we wanted the final out-put to be the closest to film as possible."

neither camera .. they are INTERLACE !!!

rent a progressive camera .. look around - you'll find a deal ...
IMO shoot interlace as lost resort ..

I don't understand what's your point. These cameras are not progressive? I thought so!

Or you want to mean that a progressive scan one like HVX is a better option?

(and I'm not sure if HDX400 isn't it progressive scan as well...)

Alex Filacchione February 14th, 2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Ross
But DVCPRO HD is a pretty highly compressed format. Not sure how much HDCAM is, but I am guessing it has better compression, since many places use it as a delivery format. DVCPRO HD is not accepted as a delivery format, acquistion only.

My understanding is this:

DvcProHD = ~100Mb/sec
The Color space is 4:2:2
The image to tape is 1280x1080i (DVCProHD also does 720p, btw)
This is a compression ratio of about 6.7:1

HDCAM = ~140Mb/sec
The Color Space is 3:1:1
The Image to tape is 1440x1080 (I *think* this is 1080i, and it does 720p. No idea if it does 1080p, but 1080p at 140Mb/sec won't look as good as 720p I would imagine)
This gives a compression ratio of 7.1:1

So, HDCam actually has a higher compression ratio even though it has a higher bandwidth because the image has more pixels and a greater color space

Then there is HDCam-SR which is 4:4:4 and bandwidth = ~440Mb/sec

There is also (on the lower end) XDCam-HD, which has lower-end specs than HDCam

I would guess that since both can do progressive, that really it would depend on which your cameraman can work with better. Go to the rental place and see if you can do some test scenes there and look at the footage and see which you like better. Ultimately it's not which is theoretically more capable of producing more film-like images, its the synergy between the camera & operator and what the operator can get out of the camera & which the operator feels more comfortable width.

But I could be wrong...

Alex F