DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Question: Video Outputs of sony DXC-327 camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/60603-question-video-outputs-sony-dxc-327-camera.html)

Forrest Schultz February 13th, 2006 06:28 PM

Question: Video Outputs of sony DXC-327 camera

i recently purchased a DXC-327 camera head only.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-DXC-327B-CA...QQcmdZViewItem
And i didnt think about it the time, but what i am planning on doing is transfering the video out to another recording source. my question is, are any of these outputs able to output the actual video footage? minus the audio in/outs:

Inputs/Outputs:: INTERFACE: Pro 50-pinVBS OUT: BNC typeR/G/B OUT: BNC-type(x3)SYNC OUT: BNC-typeY/C OUT: Y/C connector (Mini DIN 4-pin)AUDIO OUT: Phono jackGENLOCK IN: BNC-typeREMOTE: 10-pin

are any of these made to output the actual video, or just the viewfinder moniter information? cuz if i have to buy the adapter, that really sucks. any help would be gladly appreciated.

Tom Wills February 13th, 2006 09:36 PM

The Y-C connection there is S-Video, which gives you a nice clean video out. Also, do you know for certain that this camera will just accept a 4-pin XLR power input? Most require some type of back to be able to power up (from all I know.) Just from looking at the pictures it looks like there isn't a power input on the rig. You may end up being stuck there. Also, you do have a lens for this camera, right? (Just making sure, you never know.)

Forrest Schultz February 13th, 2006 10:25 PM

yah, i think you might be right about the power up. If needs be, i can buy a Evv 9000 which is a 8mm recording back. used, i see some on ebay for about 100 dollars.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-MODEL-EVV-9...QQcmdZViewItem

that gives me xlr inputs also, and the power up. if only i was able to power it up some other way...

Thank you very much for your help Tom. I really appreciate it. oh yeah, and about the lens. im bidding on this lens right now. from all i know, any c-mount lens can pretty much do...right? well heres the lens i was bidding on.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEBI%3AIT&rd=1
If i'm really dumb, and i need some special 1/2" comaptable lens, please let me know. thanks

Forrest Schultz February 13th, 2006 11:11 PM

umm.. i think i screwed up.
on the specs of the dxc-327, it says

Lens mount:: Sony 1/2-inch Bayonet mount(with hot shoe)

so what kind of lens can i put on this. im guessing not c-mount i was bidding on anymore. can i use any bayonet zoom lens? thank you for any help in advance.

James Emory February 13th, 2006 11:47 PM

I do believe that you are going to have get a rear end with a power input and audio IN to make this thing operate.

Doug Boze February 13th, 2006 11:56 PM

Forrest,

I had a DXC-327A and a DSR-1 DVCAM VTR until a couple of months ago. If you bought the camera head alone, you'll need either a camera adapter, such as the CA-537, CA-325, etc., or an EVV-9000 Hi8 VTR or other Sony dockable deck. The EVV-9000 would probably be cheapest, since there are a lot of these floating around as new-old-stock.

Without either of these there is no way to power the camera head. The adapters and VTRs have 4-pin XLR 12 VDC inputs, and the VTRs will probably have an NP-1 style battery holder. The camera head can output composite video straight from the camera via the BNC connector, but I've observed that this is identical to that available on the the VTR outputs, whether S-video, or composite. In theory, using the camera output bypasses more circuitry in the VTR, but only the VTR can output a Y/C signal directly.

No, you can't put a C-mount lens on this camera, as you discovered. Look for Sony "hotshoe" 1/2" lenses, very common. The basic lenses supplied as stock for these cameras were usually Canon VCL-713's. A decent ENG lens for noncritical applications. If you need a flat focus field, look for Canon or Fujinon IF lenses. They cost a lot more, but are clearly superior. Still, there are bargains out there, so look around.

You can use the camera mic on line 1, or power one or two XLR mics from the VTR. However, the EVV-9000 does not have stereo line-level outputs. The DSR-1 does.

$599 for the 327B is a very good price for Sony's swan song to the 1/2" dockable camera. I sold my 327A on eBay for $500. I sold a Fujinon S19x6.5BRM IF lens for about $1000, and the DSR-1 DVCAM VTR for a little over $3100. The quality of prosumer gear really has depressed prices in this market segment.

Hope this helps!

Forrest Schultz February 14th, 2006 08:30 AM

thank you very much Doug. i realize now what i got to do.

John Jay February 14th, 2006 11:06 AM

You will need the CA325 studio back end to get s-video or rgb video from this. You could also fit a D1 DVCAM back end to it. Looks like you will also need a power supply ; an EVF and a 1/2" Fujinon or Canon lens

After all this spendout; you may then find out the reason why the seller sold it.

Sorry to say but if it was me I would get rid.

Forrest Schultz February 14th, 2006 03:25 PM

no, John your absolutely right, after figuring all the things i would need, i have decided to resell it immediatlly after i recieve it. I got it for 338 USD so hopefully i can resell it for the same or possibly more. . I have decided i want to do something along the lines of a hitachi HV-C20 or the Sony DXC-950. that way, i have everything i need already in the cam itself. Again thanks, and if you have any suggestions, keep me posted.

Boyd Ostroff February 14th, 2006 03:41 PM

Welcome to DVinfo Forrest. Cross-posting the same question to multiple forums is against our policy, so I've merged your two threads.

Forrest Schultz February 21st, 2006 07:55 PM

sorry boyd, i didnt know where the topic really fitted. I have one more question. The bayonet mount on the Sony, is that comptable with other bayonet lens like canon EOS bayonet lenses. or are they purposly different shapes to make it hard on people?

Doug Boze February 21st, 2006 08:59 PM

The bayonet mount on video cameras are different because of at least one simple factor: the size of the focal plane. Pro video CCDs are 1/3", 1/2" or 2/3" (and studio cams may be 1") but all of these are much smaller than the typical 35mm film camera exposure area. Any common lens made for a 35mm SLR will be mildly to extremely telephoto on a video camera. They have to be much larger physically, too, for the light path. Compare typical 35mm lenses with the Pentax 110 system, for example. Now that would be closer to video.

I think, but do not know for sure, that any 1/2" (aka "S" series) lens will fit any 1/2" camera or camcorder. Sony incorporated a "hot shoe" design for powering, controlling and communicating with lenses, but others use a cable. Even Sony cameras have the external lens cable connector. It's just not needed for lenses made specifically for them. Also, you can mount a 2/3" (aka "A" series) lens on a 1/2" cam using an adapter, but both result in a telephoto effect. 1/3" cameras use the "T" series lenses.

Video cameras are also used in a very different market segment than film cameras, and often need extreme zoom ability or else very wide-angle capability, hence very different lens specs. Video also has greater tolerance of lens quality, at least in standard definition (SD). However, a lens that suits ENG use for "run and gun" and interview work looks rather poor in landscape or EFP use.