DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Creativity begets creativity... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/6254-creativity-begets-creativity.html)

Becky McMillen January 22nd, 2003 07:32 AM

Creativity begets creativity...

Have you ever noticed that when inspiration hits you're suddenly bombarded with more ideas than you can process? I am working on a capital campaign video for a local historic theatre that needs mucho bucks for restoration. Sadly there's not a lot of visual stuff in the archives. So I decided to create some. I recruited some actors and a 50's car club. We created a street scene in front of the old theatre with a Bogart character that disappears into thin air at the end of the clip. Of course then I begin my plea for your hard earned dollars with an emotional appeal. The thread here is that corporate or industrial videos don't have to be boring! I'm still working to finish up on the project but in my mind I'm seeing a short feature set in the wonderful old movie house. I keep thinking, wouldn't it be great to see one of my films on that big screen?

Rob Lohman January 22nd, 2003 10:27 AM

Absolutely Becky! That is one of the things I think we all share.
Wouldn't it be great to see our movies up on a big screen, some
people simply buy/rent/loan (or visit someone who has) an
LCD/DLP projector to project it as a big a possible in a room for
our own pleasure. If something interesting comes off my hands
I'll at least do that, see how it looks "big"....

Sounds really interesting what you're doing for the theatre! I
bet you can get easy access to the interior now that you are
doing them a favor. Shooting something in there would be no
problem I think. Projecting your footage might since they will
probably only have film projectors. And converting DV to film
is a costly thing to do!

K. Forman January 22nd, 2003 01:34 PM

Becky-
Try checking with the local Library, antique and Vintage groups, etc., for postcards and photos. These can be incorporated into the film.
Keith

Becky McMillen January 23rd, 2003 08:46 AM

I've been scouring the archives, museums etc. and will be utilizing the newspaper to try to find photos and stories. You're right about converting to 35mm. It's tremendously expensive! This is actually a paying job, that's the cool thing. Of course I'm not getting near as much pay as I should but it has been and will be GREAT exposure. Since I live in a small Nebraska community, there aren't many of us around and people are always surprised that I actually produce this stuff myself (in my basement.) It's a kick! I love seeing my name in the credits.

Rob Lohman January 23rd, 2003 03:16 PM

If you ever get something online with your productions let us
know, love to see some off your work!