FPS Definition at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 11th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #1
New Boot

FPS Definition

I'm just looking for some numbers on stadard frame rates for TV, movies, etc. I was hoping to find a visul dictionary.... unfortuneately I have not enough patience. lol. Also how to go about "making it work."

-Jon
Jon Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Standard NTSC video is 29.97 fps.
Pal is 25 fps
Film plays at 24 fps

in terms of how to "make it work," are you wondering how to shoot in different frame rates or are you asking something else?
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #3
New Boot

lol yes. that is what i meant
Old March 12th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #4
Wrangler

And just to add to Andrew's information, animated cartoons are typically done at 30 frames per second. At least, they used to be.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Hmmm...I thought cartoon animations were done in 12 frames (drawings) per second. That's what I remember of old Warner Bros shows.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Slonaker
Hmmm...I thought cartoon animations were done in 12 frames (drawings) per second. That's what I remember of old Warner Bros shows.
That's what I thought too for old school animation. Newer digital stuff is probably 30fps though.
Old March 12th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
That's what I thought too for old school animation. Newer digital stuff is probably 30fps though.
From what I recall (and a quick Google search seems to confirm), trad animation is shot "on twos." The animation is shot and shown at 24 fps, but each frame is photographed twice, meaning that that although there are 24 frames per second, only 12 of those frames are unique drawings. That might be where you got the idea that animation is 12 fps.

I assume that most studio animation is still done this way. Certainly it makes sense for theatrical animated releases to be done at 24 fps "on twos." As for animated TV programs, I figure that 24 fps with pulldown is better/easier than doing 30 fps and then being stuck with NTSC specs. That way, if they want to go to film or PAL, the transisition will be easier.

As for web animation, etc, there's probably no telling. Some of it may be 30 fps, although it may be 15 fps to save bandwidth.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #8
New Boot

Animation what?!

And suddenly everyone is diverging off from the subject of film to animation... lol. I was just wondering if there was some trick i could pull with my home camera to make things look different and less like home movies... thats all...

Last edited by Boyd Ostroff; March 15th, 2006 at 05:41 PM. Reason: removed OT remarks
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mitchell
And suddenly everyone is diverging off from the subject of film to animation... lol. I was just wondering if there was some trick i could pull with my home camera to make things look different and less like home movies... thats all...
Sorry about that Jon. And I stand corrected on the frame rate for animation. I had recalled reading this blurb somewhere in the documentation for a program I have called Animation Shop 3.0 which used to be included with Paint Shop Pro before JASC was bought out. It's a great little program with some nifty features.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mitchell
I thought that was pretty much "asked and answered" in the first couple of posts, based on your original....

There are filters in PPro (and others I'm sure) for "degrading" the look of your video to make it look less like video. Of course, HOW your shoot your home movies is just as important in making it NOT look like a home video.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Slonaker
I thought that was pretty much "asked and answered" in the first couple of posts, based on your original....

There are filters in PPro (and others I'm sure) for "degrading" the look of your video to make it look less like video. Of course, HOW your shoot your home movies is just as important in making it NOT look like a home video.
Yeah well the confusion from my original may be due to the fact that i was using and on screen keyboard and because I was tired, but thanks anyway. And Um, yeah I know about how to make it not look homemade by not being wobly and stuff but i still hate how home videos look in general... I dont know cause they're less vivid or colorful or something... can't put my finger on it. It seems to me that with Premiere has something where you can change the frame rate? Not sure if thats what "degrading" means. I'll have to look into it.
Old March 15th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #12
Wrangler

Everyone: please resist the temptation to make OT and personal remarks. I've had to do some editing of this thread to get us back on track...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion