DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   No audio with Sony DSR-25 and XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/62995-no-audio-sony-dsr-25-xl2.html)

Brian Farris March 16th, 2006 09:27 AM

No audio with Sony DSR-25 and XL2

So we just got a Sony DSR-25 to capture temendous amounts of miniDV tapes. However, whenever we try to play back a tape, we're getting video just fine, but there is no audio.

The audio on the XL2 is set to 16bit and I'm getting audio just fine from captureing from the XL2. Do I need to set the DSR-25 a particular way?

Thanks.

Brian Farris March 17th, 2006 09:55 AM

Anyone?

Doug Boze March 17th, 2006 02:45 PM

Brian, what kind of NLE are you using? I assume you are capturing via the DV jacks?

When you say there is no audio, is that from the phone jack on the DSR-25, or from the captured video?

Is the Input Select switch on the DSR-25 set to DV? This shouldn't make a difference on playback, though.

When playing a tape, move the Display Select switch to Audio. You should see the audio meters for channels 1 and 2 superimposed on the DSR-25 LCD. Is there a signal being detected?

Check your capture/DV device settings in your NLE. It should show the DSR-25 as an option from a list. This will ensure that the NLE can control and communicate with the DSR-25.

Read through Chapter 2 of the DSR-25 manual, particularly on Connections for Playback.

BTW, you mentioned that you recorded 16-bit audio on the XL-2 and got a picture only from the DSR-25. I assume that the recording speed was SP, too?

Hope this helps.

Brian Farris March 17th, 2006 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Boze
Brian, what kind of NLE are you using? I assume you are capturing via the DV jacks?

I'm using Final Cut Pro 5. Yes, I'm running a firewire cable from the back of the DSR-25 to our Powermac.

Quote:

When you say there is no audio, is that from the phone jack on the DSR-25, or from the captured video?

Both.

Quote:

Is the Input Select switch on the DSR-25 set to DV? This shouldn't make a difference on playback, though.

It's either set on DV or Video, but whatever one works for capturing the video. Can't remember though.

Quote:

When playing a tape, move the Display Select switch to Audio. You should see the audio meters for channels 1 and 2 superimposed on the DSR-25 LCD. Is there a signal being detected?

I've done this and there is no audio being detected as far as the audio meters are concerned.

Quote:

Check your capture/DV device settings in your NLE. It should show the DSR-25 as an option from a list. This will ensure that the NLE can control and communicate with the DSR-25.

I've done this and can capture video perfectly and can control the device through FCP, yet no audio.

Quote:

Read through Chapter 2 of the DSR-25 manual, particularly on Connections for Playback.

According to the manual, my settings are correct.

Quote:

BTW, you mentioned that you recorded 16-bit audio on the XL-2 and got a picture only from the DSR-25. I assume that the recording speed was SP, too?

Correct.

Quote:

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Doug Boze March 18th, 2006 01:55 PM

Something else occurred to me. Did you use different cables when capturing from the DSR-25 and XL-2? A faulty cable or loose or damaged connection could be at fault, however unlikely.