No audio with Sony DSR-25 and XL2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 99
No audio with Sony DSR-25 and XL2

So we just got a Sony DSR-25 to capture temendous amounts of miniDV tapes. However, whenever we try to play back a tape, we're getting video just fine, but there is no audio.

The audio on the XL2 is set to 16bit and I'm getting audio just fine from captureing from the XL2. Do I need to set the DSR-25 a particular way?

Thanks.
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 99
Anyone?

...
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 218
Brian, what kind of NLE are you using? I assume you are capturing via the DV jacks?

When you say there is no audio, is that from the phone jack on the DSR-25, or from the captured video?

Is the Input Select switch on the DSR-25 set to DV? This shouldn't make a difference on playback, though.

When playing a tape, move the Display Select switch to Audio. You should see the audio meters for channels 1 and 2 superimposed on the DSR-25 LCD. Is there a signal being detected?

Check your capture/DV device settings in your NLE. It should show the DSR-25 as an option from a list. This will ensure that the NLE can control and communicate with the DSR-25.

Read through Chapter 2 of the DSR-25 manual, particularly on Connections for Playback.

BTW, you mentioned that you recorded 16-bit audio on the XL-2 and got a picture only from the DSR-25. I assume that the recording speed was SP, too?

Hope this helps.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Doug Boze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Boze
Brian, what kind of NLE are you using? I assume you are capturing via the DV jacks?
I'm using Final Cut Pro 5. Yes, I'm running a firewire cable from the back of the DSR-25 to our Powermac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Boze
When you say there is no audio, is that from the phone jack on the DSR-25, or from the captured video?
Both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Boze
Is the Input Select switch on the DSR-25 set to DV? This shouldn't make a difference on playback, though.
It's either set on DV or Video, but whatever one works for capturing the video. Can't remember though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Boze
When playing a tape, move the Display Select switch to Audio. You should see the audio meters for channels 1 and 2 superimposed on the DSR-25 LCD. Is there a signal being detected?
I've done this and there is no audio being detected as far as the audio meters are concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Boze
Check your capture/DV device settings in your NLE. It should show the DSR-25 as an option from a list. This will ensure that the NLE can control and communicate with the DSR-25.
I've done this and can capture video perfectly and can control the device through FCP, yet no audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Boze
Read through Chapter 2 of the DSR-25 manual, particularly on Connections for Playback.
According to the manual, my settings are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Boze
BTW, you mentioned that you recorded 16-bit audio on the XL-2 and got a picture only from the DSR-25. I assume that the recording speed was SP, too?
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Boze
Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 218
Something else occurred to me. Did you use different cables when capturing from the DSR-25 and XL-2? A faulty cable or loose or damaged connection could be at fault, however unlikely.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Doug Boze is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:17 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network