Projection Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Projection Question

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I have a little dilemma and thought maybe someone could help me out on this.

I don't do a lot of projection work, but my church is having a special Easter program in a local high-school gym. It's a big room and they want me to hang a projector from the ceiling and set up a screen (for song lyrics, etc). I can probably rig the hanging -- we have them hanging in our church right now and I can probably work that out -- but how do I get video signal up there? I'm worried about the length of the run, might be like 500 feet or more. Is it better to hook up some kind of wireless video feed, or should I get component video, or ???

Thanks guys!
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Phillip,

What are you feeding the projector with? PC, Laptop, Deck? What connections do you have available both out of the play device and into your projector?
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #3
Major Player

The signal out is from a PC, the projector is a fairly nice newer one so should have the standard connections - RCA, s-video, probably component, and maybe the computer input jacks too. I don't think they are running any actual video, just powerpoint, though when they do run video they use the PC anyway (always looks jerky -- I hate that!). Maybe I just need a really long 'monitor' cable?
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Phillip,

No way a 500 ft vga cable would work! I'd recommend going with a Cat 5 VGA Extender. Several models out there. Cost from about $100 and up. They convert your VGA signal to one that can be transmitted over a standard Cat 5 cable then back to VGA at your display device. I've got one that works to 300 ft and have not noticed any real quality loss.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion