What FOV (Field of View) does my lens have? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 26th, 2003, 09:12 AM   #1
Dreadman

What FOV (Field of View) does my lens have?

Hi, is there anyone out there who can tell me what FOV (field of view) my lens has? Without zooming.
Or how to calculate it?

Here is the type of lens I'm talking about:
FUJINON S19X6.5BRM-24
6.5mm - 123mm

Don't know the size of the camera's CCD's, it has either 2/3 CCD's or 1/3 CCD's.
It's a Panasonic DVC Pro 25. I can't check the exact specs of the camera right now as at the moment I haven't got the camera or manuals within reach.

Help will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
C-ya.
Old January 26th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #2
Warden

I can tell you a little bit about it.

S = 1/2 chip format

19 = is 19X or Zoom ratio

6.5 = minimum focal length, maximum can be derived by multiplying 6.5 by 19 = 123.5mm

In 35mm film terms, this lens on a 1/2 chip camera, is the rough equivalent of 36mm to 692mm. This equates to roughly 53 degree angle of view at 6.5mm to 2.5 degree at 123.5mm.

It is probably E R M which means E is a built in 2X extender, RM is manual focus, servo zoom.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #3
Dreadman

Thanks for your reply! Got some really usefull info from that.

I've done some searching on the web prior to reading your reply and came accross this link http://www.csgnetwork.com/objsizecalc.html

But when I calculate my FOV over there is states I should have a FOV of 76.23 degrees, which I'm sure is totally wrong.

Your 53 degrees sounds a lot more reliable.

BTW: How do you make an estimate of the equivalents between 1/2 CCD Cams and 35mm cams. (Is it just by multiplying with +/- 5.5?)

Thanks,
C-ya.
Old January 29th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #4
Warden

The 53 degree angle of view is from some old Fujinon literature I have. The conversion factor for various chip sizes compared to film can be found here. I should note that the 35mm listed as 1X is 35mm still film, not motion picture film. Charles provided some figures for me and I'll update the list in a day or so.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion