DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Live streaming DV using Vitalstream (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/64392-live-streaming-dv-using-vitalstream.html)

Damian Hickey April 5th, 2006 06:07 AM

Live streaming DV using Vitalstream

Dear all,

We have hit a brick wall trying to provide a low cost solution for a yoga school wanting to run classes live and online. (We are more a booking systems company but doing this a love job.)

When we hook up our Panasonic NV-GS300 via DV firewire cable to our laptop, it is recognised successfully. We can run Vegas and view the output in Windows explorer no trouble.

However, when we run the VitalStream Live Encoder and share the output of the camera, it does not successfully find the source. The Live Encoder is a flash application.

The strange thing is that the output of the camera in USB web cam mode is visible in the Source window of the Live Encoder.

We have a concurrent support ticket lodged with VitalStream about this but hoped someone here would understand this right away.

Is it that the firewire port on the computer requires a different driver or do I perhaps have to get a fancy PCMCIA card for the laptop?

Any help greatfully accepted and acknowledged,

Damian
osCommRes.com

Ervin Farkas April 6th, 2006 12:45 PM

I have no experience with your particular software, but I am doing live video streaming with Windows Media Encoder. Once your video source is recognized by the computer, it's the encoder's job to take over. So my guess is, you have a software bug and your best source for help is the vendor of that software. The software should "see" all of your PC's hardware - most likely the software fails to "talk" to the rest of the computer.

Damian Hickey April 8th, 2006 02:17 AM

OSprey card and Simulcast to fix this?

Will an Osprey card taking the DV input and the Simulstream software resolve this?

Damian

Marc Colemont April 8th, 2006 04:48 AM

I use WebCamDV to connect a firewire DV camera to a webhosting like MSN or SkyPe. There's a good chance it will also be recognized that way to your streaming application. The software is not expensive and works well.

Greg Boston April 8th, 2006 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian Hickey
When we hook up our Panasonic NV-GS300 via DV firewire cable to our laptop, it is recognised successfully. We can run Vegas and view the output in Windows explorer no trouble.

However, when we run the VitalStream Live Encoder and share the output of the camera, it does not successfully find the source. The Live Encoder is a flash application.

The strange thing is that the output of the camera in USB web cam mode is visible in the Source window of the Live Encoder.

Any help greatfully accepted and acknowledged,

Damian
osCommRes.com

It would appear that Vitalstream is only set up to recognize USB webcams. I have seen other software behave this way. There are applications which will circumvent this limitation such as the one mentioned (WebcamDV).

-gb-

Douglas Call April 8th, 2006 09:48 AM

Viewcast Real time Streaming Encoder SL2840 NAB 2006

The Viewcast Niagara 4115RW - Single-Channel Analog encoder will handle all your inputs and outputs ok but Viewcast is releasing their new budget version SL2840 @ NAB 2006. That's the one I want to buy. It will still be around $2k including all the software etc. but that beats $4K+ for the 4115RW.

Either unit will output Quicktime, Flash and Windows Media etc.

I also use Windows Media Encoder 9 with the Osprey DV500 currently for live streaming.

Damian Hickey April 9th, 2006 02:01 AM

Thanks due and given

Dear all,

I would like to thank first Marc Colemont and secondly Greg Boston for their ideas about the use of WebCamDV.

It took just a few minutes to get WebCamDV up and running.

We now have a low cost solution that will allow us to get online with the live yoga classes.

Thanks again,

Damian

Magnus Helander April 9th, 2006 09:09 AM

Flash encoder...

We had the same problem - if the video device is identified in Windows as "Panasonic NV-GS300" or "Panasonic DVX-100" the flash encoder will not find it, flash will only recognize a videodevice which identifies itself as "Microsoft DV/VCR" or whatever the default is. We tried hacking the registry and changing the name - to no avail, it resets the name when the camera is connected.
/magnus

Damian Hickey April 9th, 2006 03:36 PM

Benefits of WebCamDV

I have reported to VitalStream the benefits of offering this as a solution for their users who a streaming on a budget using equipment below the semi-professional level.

Cheers,

Damian