Mattebox? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 10th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Mattebox?

Hi,

I've been wanting to ask this question for some time now, but never really built the courage to ask...Anyway, here goes:

What is a mattebox and how does it affect my shooting?

I own an XL2 and I've seen some people use Matteboxe's on their XL2's, but why? What do Mattebox give you that make them so expensive?

Hope to hear from you guys.

-Roger
Roger Rosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Matteboxes are really useful on film sets and in other places where light can strike your lens at odd angles giving you lens flares. The lens hood on the camera only prevents this at wider angles and the mattebox allows you to adjust the flags to block light from other angles. But the primary use is to allow you to hold filters that are used in motion picture cameras. And of course, it makes your camera look cool which is interestingly a reason on its own that some people buy them.

In terms of cost, I really can't think of any reason for them to cost what they do. I'm thinking it's because it's a specialty item and therefore, not many are sold (maybe because they cost so much) and manufacturers just price them the way they do - same goes for a follow-focus which are also over-priced and all they consist of are a rod, knob and some gears.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the info Andrew. Much appreciated.

After reading your answer, I still don't think they are worth the case. Thanks again!
Roger Rosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Another useful feature of a mattebox, especially when using presenters or actors, is that it gives the actor something to act into - it may seem odd, but many actors will give a bigger and better performance when acting into a bigger camera, they feel they are more the centre of attention. A matte box can make your camera look larger and more "professional", and this is important, not just to massage your own ego, but to impress clients! (P.S. If you don't believe me, look at the article about HDV cameras being used on the set of "24" (which is somewhere on this forum), Keifer Sutherland mentions this very thing... )
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jefferies
A matte box can make your camera look larger and more "professional", and this is important, not just to massage your own ego, but to impress clients!
Absolutely true. I've tested the theory. Make sure you get a bellows style box on rails.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion