DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   What do you carry around with you in your camera bag? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/6504-what-do-you-carry-around-you-your-camera-bag.html)

Scott Silverman January 31st, 2003 07:56 PM

What do you carry around with you in your camera bag?

Trying to get a list going for what I will need in my bag. Wondering what others carry around with them so I can see if I am missing anything. Also, I am just curious!

Jeff Donald January 31st, 2003 09:06 PM

This is always a fun topic and it's been months since the last one.

flashlights (2)
laser light
6 inch ruler
several 1/4" 20 thumb screws
several heavy rubber bands
several 1 1/2 washers
misc. 1/4 20 nuts and bolts, lock washers
several dollars in change
77mm circ. POL
3 LIC941 Lenmar batteries (Canon BP945 equiv)
Canon EF adapter XL
Large micro fiber cloth
Panasonic mini DV cleaning cassette
Panasonic DVM60EJ cassettes (3)
several spare Canon XL mount body and rear lens caps
set of ear buds
set of metric allen wrenches
spare 2CR5 batteries
3 1/2" craftsman flat blade screwdriver
3 1/2" craftsman philips head screwdriver
misc safety pins
18% grey card (white on 1 side)

This is in my fanny pack that I always wear while working. The contents change on an almost daily basis. Certain times of year I'll have sun screen in an outside pocket (so it doesn't leak on the stuff on the inside).

Robert Knecht Schmidt January 31st, 2003 09:37 PM

Jeff, that's a lot of stuff. It reminds me of the passages describing the impossibly numerous contents of the family's New York apartment living room in J.D. Salinger's Franny & Zooey. Six couches, eight grand pianos, nineteen and a half pool tables, a hundred and three bowling alleys....

Of practical value I just have a few Tiffen filters, extra tapes, video cables, extra batteries, the AC Adapter, the remote, sundry lens cleaning stuff that I never use, and various audio gear.

But of practical/sentimental value I have a stainless steel Leatherman-type multi-tool with the Skywalker Ranch logo engraved on it. It was a Christmas present from my good friend and former roommate Fabrice Lorenceau--he bought it at the Ranch while he was there mixing the sound for a USC film he produced, Ocha Cups for Christmas, which has been selected for Cannes next May, and, it was just announced today, won an Emmy in the category best student drama. When he's a big famous producer I'll pull out my Leatherman and say I knew him when...

Michael Westphal January 31st, 2003 10:06 PM

ditto the multi-tool (although mine is made by Buck with no cool logo)
flashlight
bug repellent (year round)
sun screen
lens cloth
batteries
charger
wide-angle lens
GL2
head cleaner
tiny headphones
pen
odd lengths of lanyard
Studio One
Azden SGM2x
cables (audio, video, firewire, usb)
sd memory cards
tape
remote control
antacid
gum
chapstick(tm)

Simon Plissi February 1st, 2003 08:12 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Knecht Schmidt : When he's a big famous producer I'll pull out my Leatherman and say I knew him when... -->>>

Either that or you can put it on Ebay ;-)

Frank Granovski February 1st, 2003 08:42 AM

In my bag:

a few filters
extra battery or 2
charger which is also needed for direct outlet connection
electrical cord
lens cleaning materials
power surge bar
extra miniDV tapes
User manual
small cheap mic

Other bag: tripod/head

Alex Ratson February 1st, 2003 03:44 PM

The content of my camera bag changes for each shoot. Last night I did a shoot at the locale Move Theater, and after party for the premier showing of a film shot up hear. In my camera kit I had:

DSR-200
SM-58 hand held mike
ME66/K6 shotgun mike
Sony ECM wireless system
20 feet of XLR cable
Roland Headphones
3 BIG Sony battery
Sony Battery charger
Lens pen
AA battery’s
Gaffer tape
Extra full size DVCAM tapes
White balance card
Note pad
Press-pass

All of this was housed in a MONSTER Pelican Case

Alex

Rob Lohman February 2nd, 2003 11:07 AM

I currently have in my case:

- Canon XL1s
- Filterset (UV, ND, C. Polarizer)
- Power Extension cable (can be rolled up)
- rope
- Extra battery
- Charger + cable
- 5 video/audio cables off all sort
- Headphones
- Plastic straps to secure stuff
- Digital photo camera + extra flash card + extra battery
- Remote control + batteries
- 4 spare DV tapes
- Extra battery for my cellphone
- Multitool
- Gaffer tape (sort off)
- probably some small things I am forgetting now

Beside my case:
- Tripod
- 2 work stands + work lights (3)
- Ladder
- Cellphone

John Locke February 2nd, 2003 07:37 PM

In addition to some of the things above, other necessities include:

- a compass (to help visualize where the sun will be at different times of the day)
- a couple of pens
- business cards
- compact release cards
- a compact digital camera (for snapping potential locations)

and always, always...the trusty Leatherman. I firmly believe a Leatherman should be issued at birth.

Rob Lohman February 4th, 2003 02:51 AM

Is there a picture of a 'Letherman' anywhere?

Now I remember.... I forgot to add 'pens' to my list :)

Robert Knecht Schmidt February 4th, 2003 02:57 AM

Not by coincidence, there's one at leatherman.com. You'll either get a picture of the classic style "Pulse" or the new "Crunch" style Leatherman. Click on the picture and you'll get an animation of it opening up.

Sounds like quite a dilemma: you want to add pens to your list but to do so you'll need a pen.

I would make at least one of those pens a medium-point black Sharpie. (And not by coincidence, there's a picture at sharpie.com!)

Rob Lohman February 4th, 2003 04:07 AM

Ah... I got a very similair looking device. Quite handy indeed!

Thanks for linking to a picture.

John Locke February 4th, 2003 04:45 AM

Forget the "Crunch"...give me the S2 "Juice"!

James Graham February 20th, 2003 05:47 PM

What's in your kitbag?

I'm interested in finding out you guys carry with you on a job? What do you carry it in? Do you use one of Canon's fancy aluminium cases or are you carrying your camera around in a plastic bag?

Myself and my partner use an XL1s and XM2 and whilst I tend towards carrying the kitchen sink my partner is determined that we should travel as light as possible.

Do you carry any unusual items with your kit? After a very cold shoot in Wales last week I've developed a fondness for fingerless climbing gloves which I purchased from a cool-dude extreme sports shop. Whilst we were there my partner formed the idea of using small padded rucksacks as essential kitbags. Needless to say, my beer belly didn't really fit in with the rest of the clientelle.

We would be very interested to hear what you are lugging around with you and what you are lugging it in.

Simon Plissi February 20th, 2003 08:22 PM

James –

I've a fondness for Kata bags.
http://www.katadirect.co.uk
I have the CCC-10, well, I think that's the one as the bag has no model tag and I've long since forgotten which one it is. And there's no way I paid £340, for the CCC-1.

Kata have some new additions to their range which include rucksacks for both the XL1 and XM2. You should check them out.

One thing no one has mentioned, but extremely useful in our wet climate, is silica gel. I plan on getting some of the larger verity and not the tiny bags you get with stills camera equipment.

P.S. Just had a brief look at your web site. Something told me to look at the source, and I was right, made in Freeway. Same here, which is what I was just working this late at night trying to finish my site.

Now I hope I don't have nightmares about being stuffed in bags full of silica gel!