Assorted posts from 2002Q1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 20th, 2002, 04:03 PM   #31
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

MacCentral:FireWire 120GB external hard drive available

That's one big honkin' Firewire drive. I have an internal 120Gb IBM Deskstar but haven't seen an external drive this big. And it's 7200rpm!

Posted today:
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0202/20.drive.php

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2002, 11:05 PM   #32

Anyone Upgraded to the New Mac G4 1Ghz DP?

Are you a Final Cut Pro user and have you upgraded from an earlier G4 dual processer to the new dual 1Ghz? If so, I'd like to hear your impressions of the new system, especially with regard to (non-RT) render and export times.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2002, 02:38 PM   #33
ranma500

Dsr-500

Am using a DSR-500 on Wednesday.

I would like to get a look slightly more like film. I am shooting 16:9.

However, I don't think I want to go as far as shooting at 1/25 shutter speed.

I have FilmFX in Post, and so can do this then if I need.

I am always worried about doing too much in camera, as of course it is irreversible.

However, with new DSPs I am told that there are subtle ways of manipulating the contrast settings in camera to achieve a softer more filmic look.

The DSR-500 has a DSP preset of 'film-like'. Does anyone know what it does, and can anyone recommend it?

Thanks

Paul Spurrier
Old February 25th, 2002, 08:01 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Monitor resolution claims?

Hi
I'm about to buy a monitor for my XL1 and have come down to 3
makes, the Varizoom 5.6" a Vicom 6.4" and one apparently made here in the UK for a company called Ntrac which is also 6.4". I need to be able to use rechargeable batteries and keep the weight down as best I can so all of these are fine and all are a similar price, however...
As it is almost impossible to get to see any of these working before I buy I am having to assume that the claimed resolution is the best indicator of good image quality. This is where I am having trouble, varizoom quote 'resolution' of 320x240, Ntrac has 'Pixel resolution' of 960x234 ? how can this be possible, surely it would have to be 960x720, I smell something funny here can anyone help. I can't find anything on the Vicom, although the salesman thought they were the best thing since sliced bread (don't they all)
Cheers
Allan
Allan Michaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2002, 08:07 PM   #35
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

GL1 Accessories

I've got ZGC.COM and Century Optics as 2 sites for GL1 Accessories. I'm about to go on a week long vacation in march and I need that 930R battery and maybe some other extra stuff. But I'm looking for the cheapest.

Can you guys pass on some more sites to me where I can find more accessories?
mdreyes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2002, 06:15 PM   #36
Regular Crew

DVD or SVHS for project- informed opinion?

Wonder if anyone's done an A-B comparison on a dv project printed to a decent SVHS deck vs a home burned DVD. I'm shopping for a dv deck and wonder if SVHS is viable for screening- i.e., getting a dual dv-svhs deck or a dv deck and a standalone prosumer dvd burner-. I still have my doubts about nonprofessional dvd creation- the added compression hit -at present - does it significantly degrade a project?

Also-Are folk displaying shorts in festivals on mini-dv, beta or what? I'm getting confused just wondering about this stuff.
After weeks of editing and post I'll sure want the best presentation medium possible.
Henry Czuprinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2002, 08:19 PM   #37
Major Player

Pinnacle studio 7 DV / DC10 patch

For those of us who own pinnacle studio 7 or DC10 software and have problems, a new patch (beta) is available that solves many problems including creating mpeg movies. The patch is a beta vesion but solved my problem of rendering an mpeg movie.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFiles/Studio_beta_download_page.htm
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2002, 09:24 AM   #38
New Boot

location dc power needed

I need to power and Ibook and an xl1 for about 12 hours. I have no ac power available. I can build my own. Hoping someone already has, or knows where to get one. thanks
bill zuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2002, 04:41 PM   #39
Tigerbull62

Mini DV decks again - in the $1000 range?

Hi, all,

Read the posts suggesting the agv2000 and the Sony DSR 11 for mini dv decks - unfortunately both are out of my $1000-ish budget. Any thoughts on the JVC DVS2? I just read about possible problems it has with capturing. And what about the Sony DV walkman gv-d1000? Any major red flags there?

Thanks!

Ilya Pearlman
Old March 16th, 2002, 01:59 PM   #40
New Boot

anyone own Ibook? question

I do a fair amount of time lapse. I want to extend battery life. can i turn screen off and still run apps?
bill zuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2002, 05:30 PM   #41
Regular Crew

VX-2000 Stills? Posts? Links?

Sup...

I wanted to see some shots of the VX-2000 from the digital stills point of view. I've seen the ones on the that pappas does but I don't have any basis of comparing differnt shots but only his..

Can you post some? Or send some links?

Thanx
Alex
Old March 21st, 2002, 08:00 AM   #42
Regular Crew

E & O Insurance

Is it true that you need to renew your E & O insurance on each project on a yearly basis?

Also, since there's usually a $10,000 deductable, how does one budget that? Who has $10,000 lying around in case of a lawsuit?

(Yikes!)
fargograf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2002, 03:48 PM   #43
GWPGearWorx

Going Rate ?

Just wondering price wise.

Whats the going rate on your plain Wedding Video ?

This includes the recording, editing and so on. How much do you charge ? or how much would you charge ?? please state Canadian dollar and US dollar.

My wedding packages include A LOT of additions and I do not want to over charge on the standard video.

(NOTE: I have been doing video for a while now so the quality of the video is there, in editing, shots e.t.c )

Thanks for your input
Old March 22nd, 2002, 05:33 PM   #44

Squirrel Fishing

QuickTime News mentions this video in their most recent newsletter. Pretty fun.

http://www.squirrelfishing.com/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion