Wedding videographers Tips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 21st, 2006, 07:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Wedding videographers Tips

It's probably been posted before, but I'd like to hear of some of the situations the rest of us should watch out for. On my last few weddings these situations come to mind:

The dreaded candle lighter. One of my recent weddings had the mothers of the bride and groom light candles during the ceremony, before the processional. The lighter was a long barbeque lighter wand one usually buys at a Winn Dixie or Publix food store. Neither of the mothers could figure out how to light it themselves. It literally took minutes; people were intervening in front of my video camera trying to help; not exactly prime time video that I had to edit out. My suggestion: have them bring the device and try it during the wedding rehearsal.

The Vow Huddle: The minister is so close to the bride and groom his head is always floating into view to block shots of the couple as he performs the ceremony. Remember to mention this during rehearsal and come to some sort of distancing agreement with the wedding planner.

Bring headphones to check sound. I could have detected my sound was being distorted and clipped during my last wedding. I set both of my GL2 cams audio on auto but I must have accidentally flipped a switch on the main cam to manual while handling it during the ceremony. There was distortion, but not bad enough to trash the sound track. When it got bad I used the audio track of the second cam. I will at least try to make sure the manual settings on both cams are mid way next time instead of the near max limit in case it happens again. A good pair of headphones could have alerted me to the problem.

I would welcome any other tips out there. Feel free to comment.
Bill Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You last tip applies to virtually EVERY shoot no matter what type - always always always monitor camera audio through its headphone jack.
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

1. Low light situtations:

Practice, practice practice with your camera for these conditions because you will invariably be filming in low light receptions and churches.

Play with your iris and gain...try to find something that works for your camera and be ready to shoot in manual for these situations so you can change settings as required.

2. Photographers:

Learn how to deal with them and try to work with them. Most are very professional and treat you with respect, do the same, even if they are difficult. There are horror stories so be aware. I suggest touching base with them at the rehearsal.
Monte Comeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion