DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   1 chip vs 3 chip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/6599-1-chip-vs-3-chip.html)

Patrick Mollins February 4th, 2003 10:30 AM

1 chip vs 3 chip

Hey there,

I currently own a Canon Optura Pi. The picture is fantastic and it is a great little camera. I have seen a lot of 3 chip pieces and when I do I'm always surprised about how much more I like the video shot with them. Does anyone have any links to sample footage that has a shootout between a single ccd and a 3 ccd camera, with the same lighting and same setting?

Thanks.

Patrick

Rob Lohman February 4th, 2003 10:48 AM

I don't have a link for you, but 3-CCD footage should always look
better then a 1-CCD footage (at least for now). Single chip ccd's
have problems in portraying accurate colors etc. This is way the
more expensive (pro-sumer/professional) cameras all have 3
CCD chips (for now).

Patrick Mollins February 4th, 2003 10:51 AM

That's been my understanding. i am saving up for a GL2.

Patrick

Chris Hurd February 4th, 2003 11:17 AM

The Canon Optura Pi has a secret weapon that sets it apart from most other 1-chip camcorders: an RGB color filter for superb color reproduction. Combined with a true progressive-scan CCD and optical image stabilization, the Optura Pi actually comes very close to emulating the look of a 3 CCD camcorder. It was without question the Cadillac of all single-chippers, and sadly is no longer available, having been discontinued over 18 months ago. If you have an Optura Pi, be sure to keep it. If you have an opportunity to get one, by all means do so. No other single-chip DV camcorder produces an image as beautifully as the Optura Pi.

Keith Luken February 4th, 2003 11:48 AM

I have a 20MB clip www.keithluken.com, click on sample click, these were taken during the Fall at a state park. It is essentially the same shots takens minutes aprt with a ZR45MC and GL2. Keep in mind my site is on tripod so if too many people download it the server will lock access for a few hours. If you have problmes e-mail me and I will put it soemwhere else.

One trick I have learned to try and get the images closer when I have to mix footage from both cams is to set the AE +.5 on the ZR45 and it helps a bit by brighteniong the colors closer to the GL2, still not the same, but closer so it is not as obvious. This clips was set with both cams at default settings.

Patrick Mollins February 4th, 2003 12:59 PM

Thanks all. Chris, When I was shopping for my Pi, I was really impressed with it. When I compared it to any other 1ccd camera, none could compare. I am quite happy with it and it'll be my 2nd camera for most shoots. I'm hoping that I won't run into an issue mixing footage from both. It is quite the little work horse. I'm trying to force myself to shoot anything, just to get used to framing a shot, holding a shot and seeing something special in everyday situations that can be worthwhile later on. I have a lot of junk right now. It's all handy though. The quality of my shots are much better now than they were a couple of months ago. Still I can't get rid of the shakes.

Patrick