Shooting fast paced sports : best settings!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:53 AM   #1
New Boot

Shooting fast paced sports : best settings!?

I recently got a contract to cover one of the biggest Paintball tournament series in Canada. I already shot a couple of tournaments in the past, but using a Sony Handycam, which didn't have any manual options.

I just purchased a Canon GL2 with a filter kit, a wide angle converter and a telephoto converter.

I wanted to know which settings would be best to shoot the sharpest and best looking image possible, since I'm going to publish a DVD afterwards!! You gotta think that paintball is a really fast sport with a lot of action and markers shooting paintballs at around 300 feet per second!

So what should I look more into when I'm filming?

Would filming fast paced sport like paintball in Frame mode would be a good idea?

Should I stick with a 1/60 shutter speed or opt for a different speed to have a crisp image quality without flicker of any kind.

Any hints for the custom presets ? (Canon GL2)

- Color Gain
- Color Phase
- Sharpness
- Setup Level

I'm looking for highly saturated images with a sharp and colorful look, respecting broadcast standards. Any advices from GL2 users or anybody else would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!!
Julien T. Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:17 PM   #2
Trustee

I would shoot in frame mode and up the shutter (it will make it look very crispy). Turn the set-up level ALL the way down, sharpness down a couple notches and the color gain up one or two notches.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion