A video of mine showcased! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 4th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #1
Major Player

A video of mine showcased!

An unofficial music video I did for The Birthday Massacre is showcased on their website at: http://www.tbmchicago.com/media/video.php?s=fan

Now that's good publicity for my just-born business :D
Aviv Hallale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #2
Trustee

Dude! TBM and Lunarclick are two of my favorite bands! Small world. Both of those groups need more videos done. I'm sure with such a talented fanbase, they could get something done. I so wished I could afford to fly out to L.A. for that concert they did together in March. :(

Unfortunately, some people won't want to register on that site just to look at one video, so I'll give you as much feedback myself as possible to help compensate.

First, I really like the concept of the video. It was also shot well. It didn't have any of the earmarks of cheap video. It also seemed to visually match the tone of the music.

For a critique, I was hoping for some more camera moves, but I think you are limited by the CG to what you can do with the camera. A moving camera would make it hard to get the CG to track accurately. Actually, there may be software that would allow you to move the camera and have an object in the scene act as an anchor for the CG to reference. That way, there would be more 3-dimensionality (I like that, it would make a great title for a graphics company!) to the CG since it retains a bit much of it's rotoscope origins. Also, it would be nice to have some light interaction in the scene. If you could match the color of the CG to a colored light, you could simulate having the CG casting light in the scene. For instance, you could hide a little battery-powered light in the swing seat and have it shine color up onto the side of the seat and the chain. That would make the CG light look more real since it would have a bridge between it and the real scenery. Perhaps a battery-powered lantern spotlight with a colored gel could shine into the trees when the "sparkle" flew by would achieve this effect in an even simpler way. I have one of those big battery-powered spotlights and I put a piece of duct from Home Depot that I painted black over the beam so it only shines out in the tight beam. With that, I can put a small and bright spot of light anywhere even if the light is far off-camera. I think the key to realistic CG is to have it interact with the scene appropriately. You would really need to know before shooting what the CG was going to look like, but I think it could be done.

Hana Hou! (roughly "encore!", in Hawaiian)
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion